Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Family keeps inviting themselves to my graduation....

trevytrevtrevytrev Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Firstly I've gotten through college all by myself with minimal help from everyone. I don't really want to go to my graduation at all, I hate my school with a passion, I dislike many professors here and how they teach, and I don't like the city my college is in. They are all small minded and difficult to get a long with. I've made a lot of friends, but not any real best friends.

That being said, my family keeps inviting themselves to my graduation and talk down on me since I don't want to go one of my family members told me "It's not about you, it's about us and we want to see you walk" (I also haven spoken to them in 2 years) That made me even angrier.If I did go to graduation I'd only want like 7-8 people MAX there. It seems like people are so narcissistic, not to mention I have been to the graduation place, and I have some very out of shape family members who will not be able to walk up the stairs to get the coliseum either. They went to my college graduation the other year and started panting after few steps on the side walk.

Replies to: Family keeps inviting themselves to my graduation....

• trevytrevtrevytrev Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I was just ranting by the way, I'd love to here y'alls opinions
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,632 Senior Member
    If you don’t want to go, then don’t. it is about you. Be happy!
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 3,231 Senior Member
    I didn't go to my college graduation and I have never regretted it.
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,249 Forum Champion
    If they had been supportive, helped pay your way, etc (or if even some of them did), then I'd suggest you consider doing it as a kindness to them. But if not, you have no obligation.
    Definitely this.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 56,283 Senior Member
    If they went to your college graduation a little while back , what graduation is this?
  • yourmommayourmomma Registered User Posts: 1,142 Senior Member
    Don't go. Let them do,what they want.
  • CTmom2018CTmom2018 Registered User Posts: 731 Member
    If you don't want to go, don't go. It really is up to you.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,459 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    You're lucky... no one wanted to go to my kids' graduations, not even me!

(I went, of course. But count me and many others among those who find college graduations unbelievably boring.)
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,298 Super Moderator
    "Well, you guys can go, but I won't be there!" said in a friendly tone.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,385 Forum Champion
    As a parent...part of graduation is all about the family! I would be very disappointed if my child didn't walk at graduation...given that I paid for it and have supported their education for 17 years!
    It is their problem if they are out of shape, not yours.

Now if they hadn't supported you/funded you...then you do what you want.
  • trevytrevtrevytrev Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    high school was the first one. Sorry.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,509 Senior Member
    Let them know they're welcome to go.

But you'll be elsewhere that day.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,201 Senior Member
    My daughter doesn't want to attend her graduation. I'm leaving it up to her even though I would like to go. Maybe she can borrow her roommate's cap and gown and take a picture for me?

She is entitled to 4 tickets. She's giving hers away.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,844 Senior Member
    At some schools, you only get 2-4 invitations. Does that exceed the number who want to come? That can be your excuse.

You said they gave minimal support. There's a difference if that means they willingly made it difficult vs they don't have much money but tried to help financially, even a little. And were emotionally supportive. I can't tell if this is some resentment talking or you don't want the fuss.
This discussion has been closed.