Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Roommate Napping Etiquette?

angel0309angel0309 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
So my roommate and I are both freshman that met in our first year experience last semester and then decided to move in together because we both had awful roommates last semester. Everything has been great, except for one little annoyance-she naps for HOURS every single day. For instance, sometimes I have to wake her up because she's been asleep for 4-5 hours already. We've never talked about what activities one can do when the other is napping, except for when we're both already in the room. Basically, we said that if one of us is already doing something (like when I'm playing Xbox with my boyfriend) and she decides to take a nap, I don't have to stop what I'm doing. However, we've never talked about what to do if she lays down to take a nap and I'm out of the room. For instance, I had something to do at 4 today, got back at 4:50 and she was asleep. It's now almost 5:50 and she's still asleep and I'm sitting here in the dark, unable to do homework or play Xbox or anything else I might want to do because I feel bad for waking her up. Should I just not care and turn the lights on and go about my day or should I stay quiet and let her nap?

PS: we do have a common room in out suite, but I can't play Xbox or usually do my homework out there because there's always either people hanging out or cooking out there and it's not the most comfortable place to do most of my homework, as it's just a couple of couches and a coffee table.

Replies to: Roommate Napping Etiquette?

• Hokie_gl32Hokie_gl32 Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    Honestly, after like 8am until whatever reasonable sleeping hour you go with (idk, 11pm?) on a weekday, you should be able to use your room for anything you want as long as you aren't being obnoxious like blasting music or whatever. Playing video games, doing homework, watching tv, are all reasonable things to do during the day and you shouldn't be afraid to do it. Your roommate does not have a controlling share of the room. It'll be fine.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,423 Forum Champion
    I would think about what is and is not reasonable.
    It is not reasonable for you to not be able to do anything in your room for 5 hours in the afternoon.
    It is reasonable for you to try to be quiet and use headphones while watching TV/XBoX.
    It is reasonable for her to wear an eye mask.
    It is reasonable for you to use a desk lamp instead of overhead lamp if possible.

You can talk to you roommate...Say "Hey, I wanted to talk to you about me doing things in the room while you are napping. I can't not use the room all afternoon, but what I can do is use headphones while on my computer or TV. I will try to only use my desklamp while doing homework. You may need to get an eyemask or maybe even earplugs if you need. "

If you have any further issues, talk to your RA.

I would be worried that something is up with roommate...either sleep issues or depression....but that isn't really your issue. If you see that she is not attending classes, then maybe give the RA a heads up.

• philbegasphilbegas Registered User Posts: 2,997 Senior Member
    If she's gonna nap during normal times - she should get ear plugs or something - maybe in order to avoid confrontation you could buy them for her?
This discussion has been closed.