Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help a Girl Out with Deciding Her Major

ArylideArylide Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
So I'm currently having a really hard time deciding if I should either be an Architecture or a History major. I really like both ideas. I like architecture because I love to design and sketch. I would excel in History because I've always had an interest in anything historical since I was really small and it has always been my best subject in school. I have roughly a 3.8 gpa and a 30 on the ACT. What would be a great college for these majors and what would you recommend?

Replies to: Help a Girl Out with Deciding Her Major

• Glorfindel1Glorfindel1 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    edited February 2018
    Just a tip, I'm planning on double majoring in Chemistry and English because I love both! Even though there are basically no overlaps I would be fine with working hard because I enjoy them so much. This also gives me the opportunity to try out both and see if I like one more than the other.

Also, there are many more job opportunities with Chem than in English so taking both is a plus there too. This is very similar to Architecture and History. If you're willing to work hard then double majoring could definitely be an option!
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,740 Forum Champion
    Architecture is suuuuuuuuuuper intensive. Many all nighters. How are you in math/science?
    My suggestion would be to try architecture if you can get in but if it is too much drop to History.

Also read in the architecture subforum.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/architecture-major/
    For example: https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/architecture-major/2028068-i-need-advice.html
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,673 Super Moderator
    I wouldn't attempt to double-major in architecture and history. Architecture programs are usually very intensive and structured.

There are many schools with good history majors. There are fewer with architecture majors.

It's really impossible for us to suggest anything to you with this information - it sounds like you'd enjoy either. Architecture is a pre-professional field, so it kind of depends on whether you want professional training to enter a specific career or a more broad-ranging liberal arts & sciences education from which you'll have to be creative in charting your course.
  • GoatGirl19GoatGirl19 Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    As was said above, architecture is going to be a lot more math and science heavy than history would be and you'd have fewer options for places to study it unless you want to include places that have architectural engineering. But in my opinion it might give you the best of both worlds, since a lot of architecture is based on theories, techniques, and aesthetics from history. You could even minor in history while doing architecture and then work in restoration of historic buildings.
  • retiredfarmerretiredfarmer Registered User Posts: 846 Member

As noted by "GoatGirl," Architectural Engineering concentrations involve a lot of math and physics. There are only 19 accredited BS programs in in the US. For a complete listing of ABET accredited courses see http://main.abet.org/aps/accreditedprogramsearch.aspx

ABET accreditation is important for engineering but particularly important in the structural engineering world which is basically Civil Engineering. These buildings will stand up. You can even look at them from the fire and earthquake perspectives. Do you want to design in California?

For Architectural Engineering at WPI see: https://www.wpi.edu/academics/departments/architectural-engineering.

A minor in History at WPI is equivalent to an 18 semester hour time commitment Five courses are taken which culminate a "capstone" study of your chosen topic. See https://www.wpi.edu/academics/study/history-minor.

The WPI catalogue list over 40 courses in history.

:bz
  • BooBooBearBooBooBear Registered User Posts: 389 Member
    Do not do architecture as a major/degree unless you either want to be an architect or else pursue something in a construction/design-related field. Architecture is part an art and part an apprenticeship/skills field, and not an area of studies like a liberal arts major. The architects I know love their work and enjoyed school, but that is not a field of study to pursue lightly, like choosing between English and Political Science, or even English and Biology/Chemistry. It is far too demanding unless you want to work in that field or just love it with a passion (at a level that would make you want to pursue it as a career anyway).

Also be careful listening to people tell you about “more jobs” if you pursue a STEM or business major. That may be true in terms of initial job opportunities, but you have to ask yourself what sort of career you want. Liberal arts majors are designed to help you learn to think and to communicate, skills that will be required to get past the entry-level and low mid-levels of the career world. Pursuing a degree in English, for example, will require you to work harder to get internships, coop opportunities, and perhaps take a stranger entry-level job, but five-plus years out I would put my money on a hard-working English major over a Marketing major.

Plus there is always law school.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,432 Senior Member
    BooBooBear wrote:
    Also be careful listening to people tell you about “more jobs” if you pursue a STEM or business major. That may be true in terms of initial job opportunities, but you have to ask yourself what sort of career you want. Liberal arts majors are designed to help you learn to think and to communicate, skills that will be required to get past the entry-level and low mid-levels of the career world.

The S and M in STEM are also liberal arts.

However, the idea that STEM majors have better job opportunities is not true for all. Biology majors tend to face unfavorable job markets for biology-specific jobs, due to the large supply of biology graduates relative to the number of biology-specific jobs.
    BooBooBear wrote:
    Pursuing a degree in English, for example, will require you to work harder to get internships, coop opportunities, and perhaps take a stranger entry-level job, but five-plus years out I would put my money on a hard-working English major over a Marketing major.

If you believe http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-Degrees_that_Pay_you_Back-sort.html , the marketing / English example does not work. A better example for this type of thing would be nursing / philosophy or nursing / math.
This discussion has been closed.