Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Failing classes as a pre med student

Replies to: Failing classes as a pre med student

• WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,860 Senior Member
    @Christopher James
    being a doctor you can have a full time job treating people with illness and making their quality of life better

You have a very idealistic view of medicine. Look up the term "non-compliant patient." Most patients are non-compliant to one degree or another. It's one of the eternal frustrations of doctors everywhere. (A transplant surgeon friend of mine say he spends 85% of time treating 15% of his patients. Why? Because they won't follow directions. They don't take their meds--even if they get their prescriptions for free. They won't stop smoking, stop drinking/illicit drug use, lose weight, start exercising, stop engaging in high risk behaviors of all sorts. )

You need to learn more about the profession before you commit yourself to this path. (Or any medical career.) Read some books about life as physician. Shadow several physicians in different specialties. (This is an expected pre med EC. No shadowing? --don't bother applying to med school.)

Some books to get you started:

House of God by Samuel Shem
    Tengo Sed by James Fleming
    Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
    Better by Atul Gawande
    The Intern Blues by Robert Marion
    Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
  • Christopher JamesChristopher James Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    @suzyQ7 My average before this semester was a 3.7 and my sat was a 1600/2400
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,626 Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    Had you taken AP calculus? AP Bio? AP chem?
    Is that 3.7 UW or weighted? If you add them all, how many honors + AP classes (or IB, CollegeNow, PSEO, dual enrollment... classes)
    I took Ap bio , chem , and Ap world , and literature. 3.7 was weighted
    Think of your unweighted GPA and look at the CDS for your university: for you to have a shot at making the kind of grades you'd need for med school, both of those would have to be above the top 25% at your college.

Right now, you must switch gears and think of another career path. What about being a physics and chemistry teacher? Those are in high demand, especially if you can reach both.
    If you're interested in research, a chemistry major with a physics minor should have opportunities in the labs on campus.

Even if finals are right around the corner it's not too late to be seeing tutors.
    Does anyone on this forum know much about becoming a PA? I know its not much easier than becoming a doctor but i feel that it is definitely worth considering. Would i have a shot at PA school?
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,860 Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    Try posting here: Careers in Medicine

KKMama is particularly knowledgable about PA programs and entry requirements. You might consider tagging her or sending her a private message.

You might also want to look through the SDN Clinician (RN/NP/PA) forums--https://****/forums/clinicians-rn-np-pa.113/

PA and pre-PA forums--

http://www.mypatraining.com/forum/
    http://www.mypatraining.com/forum/
  • tdy123tdy123 Registered User Posts: 429 Member
    For someone who's goal is medical research, an MD is not required to achieve that goal. FWIW most Nobel Laureates in Physiology and/or Medicine have been Phd's, not MD's.
  • NASA2014NASA2014 Registered User Posts: 2,367 Senior Member
    Have you taken organic chemistry?
  • AndorvwAndorvw Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    I think OP lives in his/her idealistic fancy for med school. Have you done any volunteering in hospital? PA has become much tougher in recent years. Psy and stats are generally considered as "easier" classes than the hardcore weeder science such as Chem (Orgo, Biochem) or Physics. Wait until you finish Orgo to see what grade you'll get to decide whether to continue the pre-med path.
    @NASA2014 no i did not take orgo yet
    @Andorvw good idea thank you !
    @Christopher_James: Orgo is tough even for kids who got A's in Chemistry. You must cut your losses now, regroup, go to the Career Center and figure out what would be equally interesting and idealistic.
  • orangeclockworkorangeclockwork Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    Talk to your pre-health office at your school- they will be able to give you the most guidance and advice on your options. Best of luck- I hope it works out!
This discussion has been closed.