Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dorm or commute

2»

Replies to: Dorm or commute

• UndercrackersUndercrackers Registered User Posts: 749 Member
    If you decide to commute, just make sure you spend enough time on campus - besides just classes - to feel more connected: eating, studying, clubs, etc. Even being involved in the mundane things will help weave you into the campus experience.
  • orangeclockworkorangeclockwork Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    I live close to my university, and I did my first semester living on campus. It was not really my thing- the people I was surrounded with didn't have the same approach to academics that I did, and I was having some personal things happen that made commuting from home much easier for the 2nd semester. I love commuting, but it is not for everyone. It requires a certain work ethic and knowing how to manage your time. My commute is about 2.5 hours round-trip, but I get most of my reading done then so I can do any hand-written work/essays at home. Also, I found that being able to step out of the college bubble was very much a plus. I am still very involved on campus, but I also get to sleep in my own bed and not have to deal with communal showers (they suck). But, like with most things, it depends on the person. Best advice: go with your gut.
  • johnwb5johnwb5 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
2»
This discussion has been closed.