Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dorm room extras that made life more comfortable

Replies to: Dorm room extras that made life more comfortable

• bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,518 Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    What a GREAT idea!!!!!

Thanks @BSL1199

The technology is a bit over my head, but I can do it as a word document, by month.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,256 Senior Member
    Humble brag here, but my DD is attending a college with honor codes where they don't need to lock anything up. I'm taking them at their words at this point that they can leave stuff out and nothing gets stolen. We will see how it goes. No safe for us.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,518 Senior Member
    My issue with honor codes is that they only work with honorable people. Someone who would steal would also have no issue signing an honor statement.

No safe for my daughter either. But she'll be sure to put her stuff away. And we'll be making sure that both her laptop and phone are covered by insurance.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 4,147 Senior Member
    My daughter has a small safe too for passports and those kinds of documents. More out of a sense of wanting to have a place where it wont get lost!

My daughter said her mattress topper and soft sheets were the extra that made the most difference. She loves her bed at school!
  • artmummyartmummy Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    edited August 2018
    @twoinanddone Thanks

Am so over this dorm shopping. I may email Housing to see if they can offer insight on some dimensions for the room, but whatever I don't find now will have to get there on parents weekend or shipped

The most important part is the bed linen -still looking for inexpensive deep xl sheets.

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,207 Senior Member
    Humble brag here, but my DD is attending a college with honor codes where they don't need to lock anything up

If your daughter is at a service academy, she'll be fine. If she's not, there will be people on campus who have not agreed to follow the honor code.
  • sunset88sunset88 Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    The school ours attended, the top dresser drawer had the capability of locking. All you needed was to bring the lock of your choice.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,156 Senior Member
    @Dustyfeathers know your people. My daughter last year lived in a theater house with 25 kids. No problem at all. Never an issue as they all looked out for each other but it's the people that didn't live there that were the problem. You should be able to leave your computer on your desk at a library while going to the bathroom or taking a break but again sometimes outside people study at those libraries also... So far 2 kids in college and they both have all their stuff. No locks or safes.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 1,477 Senior Member
    My oldest went to a college where the honor code seemed to be faithfully observed, but I'd have to look at the clergy report to see if it was an illusion. In the dining hall and other spaces, surfaces were always covered with unattended phones, keys, bags, etc. D lost a device once and it was turned into security.
  • pickledgingerpickledginger Registered User Posts: 463 Member
    On the topic of dorm room safes, when one of my children was initially prescribed stimulant medication for ADHD as a 9th grader, the psychiatrist told him, "If you are still taking this when you go to college, be sure to plan to keep it in a secure lockbox because it is likely that there will come a time that someone (who does not have ADHD) will ask/beg you for some of it because they will say they will fail a test otherwise."

It was kind of shocking to hear at the time, but we certainly have not forgotten her advice. She has patients who attend a variety of colleges, including very prestigious privates, colleges with honor codes, etc., and she says this is a real problem. Apparently, people who do not have ADHD have a completely different reaction to stimulant medication than those who have ADHD.
  • zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 1,088 Senior Member
    Decide on what items are an absolute must have. For me that would be headphones that reduce noise. Yes, a mountain of stuff can be bought needlessly. Dorm rooms are very similar, small and have specific needs. It seems better to stow must haves and, then after a few days, identify and purchase what is really needed. Also, review preview policies for dorm rooms to find out what is not allowed.
  • mom2adancermom2adancer Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    This cart at Target made for a good nightstand: https://www.target.com/p/3-shelf-utility-storage-cart-gray-room-essentials-153/-/A-53201242

And we added this light to go with it: https://www.target.com/p/organizer-task-lamp-room-essentials-153/-/A-53331575

So now she has cords organized, a place to stash her phone, book, lip balm, etc. and a lamp by her bed.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,156 Senior Member
    @pickledginger sorry to go off topic but I have to respond to what you said. Have your child lock up the drugs. Ritalin and Adderall etc are sold to kids to get high. It's actually speed. Very abused in college. It will wire a kid that doesn't have adhd. The adhd kid, it will calm them down so they can be more attentive and so they can concentrate. It's better if she doesn't even mention it to her roommate. If it comes up then she can explain. If she is asking for more refills then usual... Then there is a problem.
  • titanchentitanchen Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    You can buy some scented tealight and lantern for a tealight at IKEA. The total amount does not exceed $10. Make you feel cozy and warm in the cold night.
  • madgemini4madgemini4 Registered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    Earlier in the thread there was mention of a gel mattress pad from Costco. I got this exact pad for my daughter, and she says her bed is the most comfortable that she's ever had.

Her dorm room prohibits candles, but for ambiance I got her a few LED pillar candies (I have these in my home and love them). I also got her an aromatherapy diffuser (I’m a big fan of Doterra essential oils).