Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dorm room extras that made life more comfortable

167891012»

Replies to: Dorm room extras that made life more comfortable

• momocarlymomocarly Registered User Posts: 681 Member
    My son had the lock cut off his bicycle and had it stolen last year. He didn't take back half what he took freshman year. (Smaller room now too but more sharing among friends). The matress topper was his most needed and loved item. He also has an electric grill he is allowed to use that he loves. A large fabric wall hanging makes him happier than anything other than his lights he hangs around it. He does have a small safe, his trunk/coffee table, a small bookcase, first aid kit (homemade specifically for him), took kit, flashlight, TV table. Not a lot more this year. Boys are minamalists.
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 Registered User Posts: 581 Member
    One thing I ended up sending my daughter by amazon prime was a small folding step stool. Her bed is pretty high up and it makes it a bit easier to get out of bed. Her roommate tried it and also got one.
  • BunnyBlueBunnyBlue Registered User Posts: 685 Member
    @artmummy Did you look at the twin xl sheets for students at JC Penney? They are very soft and don't wrinkle.
  • amom2girlsamom2girls Registered User Posts: 447 Member
    my daughter's bed is lofted high enough to fit the dressers underneath. She and her roommate each (no planning) purchased a sturdy ottoman which serves as her step up to the bed, storage under the top and extra seating for guests.
  • MariettaDadMariettaDad Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    Per above, D2 has footlocker size diamond-plate truck tool box. Secure waterproof locking storage too big to steal. Sturdy step-up to raised bed. Used for storage/coffee table/extra seating.

Plotted poster size campus map and adjacent area (google aerial base into powerpoint) with labeled buildings, roads, bus stops, ER, campus services, restaurants, major stores (for freshman).

Noise cancelling headphones, bed caddy/shelf, mattress topper, multi-tool, first aid kit with OTC supplements, long cord surge protector/outlet strip/charge ports.
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 1,354 Senior Member
    Command hooks in a variety of sizes.

I got my son a USB hub tower and extra cords so that he could leave chargers and cords in his backpack and a set on his desk. A power pack source for the backpack is also nice.

Noise cancelling headphones are very necessary and prevent arguments.

We learned after the fact that DS's school washing machines don't always get hot enough to fully dissolve detergent packs. (They leave blue spots all over your clothes.) We did only liquid detergent this year.

Breakfast or protein bars and apples for super busy days. Don't go hungry.
167891012»