Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dorm room extras that made life more comfortable

Replies to: Dorm room extras that made life more comfortable

• NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 4,008 Senior Member
  • Nurse001Nurse001 Registered User Posts: 347 Member
    My daughter wanted up a light up mirror to do hair and makeup. The dorm lighting was just not enough :)
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,928 Senior Member
    Agree with posts 1-4. My D uses her kettle every day for tea. She also has made good use of a small collapsible drying rack. It saves her having to run back to get clothing in/out of the dryer, and brings humidity into the room in winter.
  • BayMom3BayMom3 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
  • dygibbsdygibbs Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    Thanks, @BayMom3. I'm adding this to my daughter's list now.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,655 Senior Member
    "One thing I think all kids with roommate(s) should have are a set of earplugs"

Good idea. And if you can afford it, noise cancelling headphones definitely come in handy. They make a good grad gift.
  • BayMom3BayMom3 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    I saw these "sleephones" in another thread. Haven't bought them but they look like something that would be good to tune out a noisy roommate when you're trying to sleep:

https://www.sleepphones.com/fall-asleep-faster-headphone?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0a7YBRDnARIsAJgsF3MpOrALE9TjTA5PlvPuMFavnnSzHIxLN4w4ei4VYCWp0wWepQJrgRgaAuvPEALw_wcB
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,936 Forum Champion
    Both of my kids had noise cancelling headphones.
    And I second @Nurse001 suggestion of a make-up mirror.
  • rickle1rickle1 Registered User Posts: 1,512 Senior Member
    small dresser that fits in the closet. No way S would have had room for his clothes without.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 38,548 Super Moderator
    We got D the storage boxes that she kept under the bed. She said she never opened any of them the entire year!
  • psycholingpsycholing Registered User Posts: 418 Member
    We have a kiddo with allergies/asthma. We had to buy him an air filter after the first month. Also, he found useful: his hi quality adjustable desk lamp, fan, a few oven/microwave safe dishes (including a covered one) to heat up food, collapsable, stackable wood cubes that can serve as seating, storage cubbies or appliance stands, stainless steel toiletries basket.
  • PetraMCPetraMC Registered User Posts: 623 Member
    Has anyone added: basic tool box, wooden bed lifters? Those are nice to have.
  • 3kidsMultipleSports3kidsMultipleSports Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    Things mine ended up getting after school started were comfy over the ear headphones, more charging cables for phone (to connect to portable charger, plug into laptop, etc). Seems he used them a lot more and it got worn out. Extra storage, but sometimes it is better to see what is needed and where. For example, he had his bed on risers so ended up with a short night stand. With a 3 drawer plastic thing he gained storage and a place to put his alarm clock and fan within reach of his bed. Also those round chairs from target that fold up. A small clip light for when he needed to work in bed and roommates were asleep. Snacks :) I'd recommend to start with the basics and let them figure out what they need. Easy enough to run to the store or order on amazon and then you don't end up with a lot of extra stuff. Mine got a graduation gift that was a big tub of basics - Tylenol, bandaids, salt and pepper shakers, a microwavable bowl, sunscreen, etc. That came in handy - both the items and the tub for storage.
  • GoatGirl19GoatGirl19 Registered User Posts: 254 Junior Member
    One weird thing that comes in handy when moving in is a rubber mallet; makes it a lot easier to change the setup of the furniture (raise/lower beds on their posts and such) without damaging things. Something that hangs off a bed frame to hold glasses, books, and a phone (my phone doubles as an alarm clock) is a real necessity if there's any possibility that there will be a bunk or loft situation. My roommates didn't like it when my alarm clock was on my desk and I had to climb out of my upper bunk to get to it. Also, big plastic totes and milk crates can be stacked on their side to create extra shelf space for textbooks. My boyfriend even used milk crates and plywood to make a bookshelf that can be taken apart and used to carry stuff. Anything that can be used for storage space and doubles as a move in/out container is useful.