Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dorm room extras that made life more comfortable

Replies to: Dorm room extras that made life more comfortable

• happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,945 Forum Champion
    My D reminded me that she gets a lot of use out of a small plastic nightstand (I think with 3-4 drawers) -- it gave get a but if extra storage space (good for smaller items such a medicine kit, chargers etc.) and she put it next to her bed with an alarm clock/phone/etc. She still uses it in grad school.

We also got her a shoe storage that could hang on the back of the closet.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,261 Forum Champion
    Always keep in mind the more things you buy for a dorm room to make it comfortable, the more crowded it is making it less comfortable.
  • SnowflakeDogMomSnowflakeDogMom Registered User Posts: 461 Member
    The Bunk Buddy is genius!

I just added several of y'alls suggestions to my Amazon wish list for DD to review.
    What she really really wants is character sheets - like Captain America, Star Trek etc in the Twin XL - NOT comforters/duvets but actual sheets and I cannot find any.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,675 Senior Member
    "And since D1 was on the upper berth any extra bed lamp would need an extension cord."

An extension cord - one which allows multiple things to be plugged into it - and with a surge protector!
    @doschicos Thank you! I had been to Target and didn't find anything until I searched specifically Captain America
  • HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 1,925 Senior Member
    A simple toolkit with heads that can be changed, pliers, and a wrench is always useful. And people tend to realize at the last minute that power strips are very important.
  • HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 1,925 Senior Member
    A simple first aid kit with bandages, Advil/Tylenol, antibacterial ointment, and Claritin. Not an extra for a dorm room, but more of an essential. And kids do forget.
    My DD will be taking a mini fridge, Keurig, Electric tea pot and a nutribullet
    Her dorm is suite style, she has a mini kitchen in the common area.
  • MTDad2025MTDad2025 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    lots of great recommendations, Thanks!
  • pineapple1203pineapple1203 Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    This is very much an extra item, but I brought a desk hutch and it was the best decision. I initially found this one:
    https://dorm-decor.com/collections/desk-cubby-accessories/products/desk-cubby-restoration but it was super expensive. For about about $40 of supplies from the hardware store my brother and I built a similar one. It was a life saver for having extra, vertical storage and it minimized the amount off clutter so I could actually study at my desk.
  • snowfairy137snowfairy137 Registered User Posts: 2,081 Senior Member
    ^^almost $400 for what’s pretty much a shelf??? You had the right idea to DIY
  • CheeringsectionCheeringsection Registered User Posts: 2,335 Senior Member
    Lots of colleges will supply the desk hutch. Check before you buy.
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 893 Member
    Our school also required you rent a certain micro-fridge. My son couldn't bring the one we bought. And they do random room inspections so don't just bring it if they say not to!

Our school also has a fire code requirement (there was a dorm fire a couple years back). Any fabric hung on the walls (tapestry, flags, etc...) has to be treated and you have to file a form with the school. Again, random room checks and my son's roommate was fined $50 for having a flag that wasn't approved.

So check the codes....but a $20 can of fire retardant spray from Amazon is on our list for sophomore year!

Also check the room sizes. No way an extra dresser or nightstand would have fit in my son's room! I found the cheap milk crates from Walmart worked great - stackable for open under bed storage and they also fit on top of his desk and held text/notebooks.