Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dorm room extras that made life more comfortable

Replies to: Dorm room extras that made life more comfortable

• Marcie123Marcie123 Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    @SweetTea my D is 5’10” and she still needs a step stool to reach the top shelf of her closet.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,805 Senior Member
    Mine is 5 foot nothing. We bought the step stool months ago.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 1,510 Senior Member
    I'm not a member of Costco and it's too inconveniently located for me to join. But I want that mattress topper! I'm sitting here thinking, "Who so I know with a Costco membership?!!"

I ordered an inexpensive regular foam topper and it doesn't make a noticeable difference. We don't have particularly nice mattresses and D isn't fussy at all, but she found the bed she slept in at orientation very uncomfortable.
  • pickledgingerpickledginger Registered User Posts: 471 Member
    @MACmiracle, pm me if you want to use my membership. Our brick and mortar Costco doesn't have the topper, so shipping was the best (only) way to get it anyway.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,937 Senior Member
    One thing to point out. Even things like college gear can be cheaper and different styles at like local to college Kohls, Meijers, Target. We found some gear that the school shops didn't have for good pricing since it was around move in time. They seem to always have clearance on like t-shirts, sweats etc.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 1,510 Senior Member
    @pickledginger , thanks! How much is shipping?

What is really nice about the Cisco one is the cotton cover. Less expensive toppers usually are foam without covers from what I've seeen.
  • sta3535sta3535 Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    edited August 2018
    I do all my shopping at Walmart, it's the cheapest grocery store in my area for everything related to college.
  • RandyErikaRandyErika Registered User Posts: 388 Member
    Has anyone bought a personal safe for their student? I’m trying to decide if having a secure place to store important documents, money, credit cards, checks, jewelry, etc. is worth it. I think one of the lists we found suggested it, although I’m not certain.

I’m sure my kids will be very trusting of everyone, justly or not. But can we really trust friends of friends and acquaintances they don’t really know at all? I want to think the best of everyone, but...
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,866 Super Moderator
    Has anyone bought a personal safe for their student?
    I have one. Yes, I have always trusted my room/suitemates, but they are not the only ones in and out of the room.
    Interesting.... No safe. My son has small box that he puts like in the underwear drawer in the back. No one knows its there.
  • JazzyTXMomJazzyTXMom Registered User Posts: 337 Member
    My son used a safe to store his prescription medication.
  • WWC4meWWC4me Registered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
    @RandyErika, we bought one for D18. Her room is right near the laundry room and we wanted a safe place for documents and a little cash. Could be overkill, but it wasn't that expensive.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,805 Senior Member
    I think I'll order this the day we leave, to be delivered a few days later: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0754M9LZT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2YYHSLEGIR44T&psc=1
    That's a lot of crap.She will be the hit of the dorm. (she is sharing.. Right?)