Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dorm Must Have & Must Not Have

2»

Replies to: Dorm Must Have & Must Not Have

• AboutTheSameAboutTheSame Registered User Posts: 3,020 Senior Member
    California D found the bed warmer under the mattress pad & bottom sheet to be a life saver in cold New England. A lot of what defines "comfort" is where you're coming from. Had a printer shipped to D. She found it much easier to use the school printers to save space -- and let them buy the toner.
  • OhWhatsHerNameOhWhatsHerName Registered User Posts: 816 Member
    I bought a budget printer (<$40 with no wireless option) freshman year and quickly found that printing from the library was much less hassle. Freed up some coveted under desk space.

I think freshman year I brought too many Knick knacks and leisure items, like favorite books I’d already read, multiple pairs of slippers, adult coloring books (that was a must have...), and other solo activities. To each their own, but I had no time or interest in any of these things. They just took up space.

Less is more! I found myself overpacking in almost every area but sticking to essentials would’ve been nice.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,248 Senior Member
    A mattress foam pad and a fan are all that are required. Everything else is extra and can be figured out once he's there.

Some dorm bathrooms do have cubbies. I saw them at Smith on a tour. However, I'm sure there is some looting that goes on.

My daughter had about 1/8th the stuff she had her first semester by her final semester (dorm v sorority house room, but about the same set up). One blanket instead of 4, one towel instead of 2-4, the shower caddie long ago ditched, one or two coats not 8. Shoes? She had a case of them at first and then only a few pairs and some boots. No lamps, alarm clocks, coffee makers, extra pillows, 'books she really likes and might reread', trinkets from high school friends, stuffed animals, hangers, hangers and more hangers.

Pretty much anything on that list the schools suggest? Nope, not needed.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,852 Senior Member
    Some schools do provide storage space for shower caddies.
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 830 Member
    Haundry Mesh Shower Caddy Tote, Portable College Dorm Shower Caddy Bag with 8 Large Pockets for Camping Gym Bathroom https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7N9493/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_DCtxBb7AFAC74
  • Momma2018Momma2018 Registered User Posts: 409 Member
    I just bought a surge protector/power strip, an item recommended by the school. With everyone needing to charge devices, there probably are not enough wall outlets in the room. Also bought S18 an extra phone charger and earbuds bc he always misplaces them!
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,205 Senior Member
    Why printers? Most schools have ability to print from like anywhere. My sons dorm has printers I guess centrally located.
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 2,243 Senior Member
    in terms of a printer, yes my kid is planning on bringing his for now only because it’s a brand new dorm and no one has any idea, not even the housing folks knows what facilities will be available.
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 830 Member
    The printer was less than $100. Just easier than having to go to the public printers, with who know how many trying to use. For the price was worth the convenience.
2»