Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to get a W replaced?

Inquisitive-studentInquisitive-student Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited July 2018 in College Life
Hello, I am new to this forum and don’t know where to post my question so I apologize if this isn’t in the right category. I have a question about replacing Ws. Does one have to retake that exact course with the same professor? What if it was a W in a freshman writing course: does it have to be the same freshman writing class or can any other of the freshman writing classes replace it?

Replies to: How to get a W replaced?

  • HPuck35HPuck35 Registered User Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    Each college could have different rules. Check on the school's website to see the rules regarding this.
  • GoatGirl19GoatGirl19 Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    If for some reason your college website doesn't have this information, shoot an email to your registrar's office. They should be able to help you out. I doubt it would need to be the same professor unless that's the only professor teaching that course, but I'm guessing it would have to be the same course code/number in order to appear on your transcript correctly. This does vary by school though.
  • SuperGeo5999SuperGeo5999 Registered User Posts: 679 Member
    usually Ws will always be on your transcript but never do count towards GPA. i wouldn't worry about one or two Ws being on your transcript because they don't speak as much as actual grades do unless it happens every semester.

    but this all depends on your goals.

  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,425 Forum Champion
    Only your college registrar or academic advisor can answer your question.

    Typically a W isn't replaced but you can take and complete the same course and get a grade.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,468 Forum Champion
    You would have to meet whatever requirement the school has...so if you have to take a freshman writing, you will have to take writing
Sign In or Register to comment.