Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Air Conditioner Unit

AprilcatAprilcat Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
So here is my dilemma. I am transferring this fall to a new school. There is no AC in the dorms. Due to a medical condition I require AC. The school has agreed to allow me to bring an AC unit. But there are two major problems. I am not allowed to remove the window screen and the they are vertical casement hinge windows. I have searched and searched and I am at a lost. I'm started to panic a little. Any ideas?

Replies to: Air Conditioner Unit

  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,287 Super Moderator
    Any ideas?
    Yes. Contact the Residential Life department at the college. You are not the first person that has had this challenge.
  • NoKillliNoKillli Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    easy answer... portable a/c unit with a custom vent that fits the casement window. You can make a vent with some PVC pipe and cardboard (or sheet metal if you have some basic tools and a 2X4 to shape the metal). Pro-tip : Get the quietest unit you can find.

    Popular Mechanics - The Best Portable Air Conditioners

  • 3js3ks3js3ks Registered User Posts: 236 Junior Member
    What about one of those portable small "swamp cooler" type units? It is the size of an air cleaner. Google Arctic Air. I don't see you having an easy time trying to actually put a unit into the college window.
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers Registered User Posts: 751 Member
    Ditto on the swamp cooler idea.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,428 Forum Champion
    Contact ResLife and find out the rules regarding a/c installations. At many schools you need to use an installer approved by the college. A portable a/c could work but they take up a good amount of floor space so you would need to be sure there is room for it.
  • zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 1,088 Senior Member
    You might also consider the school's disability office assistance. You also need to have and provide medical documentation that explains your condition requires use of ac to prevent a health emergency. My sister has a unit from Amazon called Costway that removes water from the ajr andhas variable temperature control Residence life may not be very receptive to your request because of multiple requests for air conditioner and even draw on power. Does the campus have air conditioned dorms that could be considered?
Sign In or Register to comment.