Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are the top reasons for college transfers?

2»

Replies to: What are the top reasons for college transfers?

• bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,506 Senior Member
    My son LOVED his freshman year away. He made friends, enjoyed being on his own, and did well academically.

But he was aware of the financial strain it put on our family. And, far moreso, he decided he wanted to join the local fire department.

So he came home, transferred to a local community college, and joined the fire department. As soon as the paperwork gets processed, the fire department will pay for his CC tuition.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,130 Senior Member
    Kids in theater often change out at the college level. I know many talented kids that went to a college for a BFA in theater and after a year they found their calling in something like computer science and their college couldn't support this field so they had to switch schools. Often losing their BFA scholarship.
  • NoKillliNoKillli Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    Started at a local college and lived at home to save $$$. Decided to move out for junior year but apartments in NYC were always expensive even with a bunch of roommates. Brooklyn wasn't even hipster back then. Transferred to college in upstate NY where R&B were cheap.
  • eb23282eb23282 Registered User Posts: 336 Member
    Originally I thought I wanted the big school, fraternities, large quad in the middle of campus, etc. A few months in and I realized that wasn't the case, so I transferred from a 14,000 state school to 1,400 LAC. Best decision I ever made!
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,604 Senior Member
    Probably not as common among the forum demographic as in real life in California, but a big reason is that it was the plan all along to start at a community college and later transfer to a university. This may be particularly common for nontraditional students.
2»