Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My parents are making me dorm with my sister (follow up)

Replies to: My parents are making me dorm with my sister (follow up)

• gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 3,906 Senior Member
    @cupcakehinata Does it really matter where you sleep? You barely spend any time in your room or don't have to. What does it matter. Better than a nightmare roommate. Just go and enjoy yourself. Just because your parents are nearby doesn't mean you will likely see them.
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 6,365 Senior Member
    I totally sympathize with your situation. If you are 18, you are not "growing up too fast", you are "grown up". It's unfortunate that your parents won't let you make your own mistakes. I don't think that you are ungrateful at all. I think that your parents are being unreasonable.

Ok, so you have this situation. People say that your choices are to dorm with sister, or commute, but there are other choices, move out and get a job, or join something like Americorps, FEMAcorps or City Year where you get to do some form of community service in exchange for a stipend, room and board. If it appeals to you, you could join the military, but if it doesn't don't do that.

What do you want out of college academically, what are your aspirations?

If you're going to college for some particular mission (like a preprofessional program that you want), go and dorm with your sister and just sleep there. (I assume that you are female or it would be really weird). If you don't have particular plans for college but want the independence, maybe considering delaying college and apply to a program like Americorps or City year in a distant city. This will give you the independent life that you crave, and will also eventually condition your parents to understand that if they want to have a relationship with you, they have to let you live independently.
  • cupcakehinatacupcakehinata Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    @MYOS1634 - the university I am going to has apartment-style suites. It offers 4 bedrooms suites that can hold up to 8 people, and they also offer 2 bedroom suits that usually hold 2, which is what my parents want us to get.
    @racult - I am staying in state. I am only moving to a different city.
    @austinmshauri - honestly, I have no idea at this point.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,225 Senior Member
    In that case, your parents may have you both put that choice as first choice and make you both request each other as roommates.....and there's no telling whether you WILL get assigned those spots. (this type of dorms tends of be reserved for upperclassmen). Don't tell them, do what they say and kept your fingers crossed you get another roommate ;-)
  • damon30damon30 Registered User Posts: 981 Member
    edited January 26
    I am assuming you are the brother living with his sister.
    Really? I thought it was pretty clear the OP is female. (Or maybe that's just because the screen name made me think of Hinata Hyuga from Naruto, who is somewhat of a "cup cake".)
    @damon30 - yes, I am indeed a female.
    @momofsenior1 - I really hope so!!
  • raclutraclut Registered User Posts: 3,877 Senior Member
    If you are two sisters then I don't see what the big deal is of sharing a dorm or apartment with your sister. At least you will be with someone you know vs a chance of having a horrible roommate. Be grateful that you get to live on campus.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 11,166 Senior Member
    While it may not be your ideal situation, look at the positives.

You know your sister, an unknown roommate could be a bad fit or worse.

You will meet friends and might spend most of your time away from the room.

If you do need a familiar face, your sister will be there.

She will graduate in two years and hopefully you can then live with another roommate.
    edited February 17
    Never mind guys :( dorms are out of the equation and I have to commute :''')
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,225 Senior Member
    What happened?
  • UndeninUndenin Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    They forced you to take a college that was somewhere they could move to? Okay, that's actually very helicopter-parent of them to do. Honestly, it doesn't sound like you are gonna get any freedom until you become independent and don't rely on their money at all. As long as their paying for your room and board/tuition, you kind of have to deal with their demands. That really sucks honestly, but since your sister is a junior in college you'll at least be able to have your own dorm for like 2 years?

I guess you could find friends that are understanding of your situation, and try to go over at their dorm rooms when you get the chance. Later you can try getting an apartment but that would mean you'd need to start working and making enough to sustain yourself. Not sure if your parents would like that though.