I'm finishing off freshman year, and I tried to join some clubs here and there, but unfortunately they didn't work out as expected. I just realized of a academic/career based fraternity here at my college that I wanted to join (but i missed their application deadline), but I still want to join probably this Fall 2019. My issue is, I don't know much about fraternities. All I know is each frat is different and not every frat drink or party. So my questions are:
1) How do I join? I know they have recruitment, but I find it awkward to come to to their table and start talking to them
. I also don't have any friends that are in greek life, so I'm going solo.
2) What's the process of being recruited like? I know they do this "big" and "little" thing and have to attend rush and events and interviews.
3) Do you actually befriend everybody in the frat, or just the people that are joining as the same time as you?
4) What's the point of formals? I see pictures of other people posting themselves in formal attire, surrounded by other frat/soro people at a fancy banquet or something related.
5) Can you leave at any time? If something occurs and it's not working out for you.
6) Do you actually have to commit to it? Say, I have alot of school work to do and I can't make it to some of their events.
7) Is it wise to join if you're a Biology major + commuter?
Sorry if I have alot of questions. I would appreciate it if someone answers!