right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

How to deal with getting my first D

seulgidseulgid 0 replies2 postsRegistered User New Member
Hi all,
I just received my grade for Gen Chem II in community college and I got a D. I took this class before, but withdrew from it and now, I have to retake it again. I don't really know how to proceed from here because I kind of feel hopeless. I am a Bio major and was hoping to transfer soon, but since I need to take O chem, I think I am a semester behind schedule. I'm also really worried, I may not get into a UC because of this. If anyone knows or has an idea, is it still possible for me to get into UC Davis, if i retake this class? And how should I not let it affect me so much?
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How to deal with getting my first D

• Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 1950 replies26 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    There are others that know the CA system better than I do. Having said that, postponing your transfer for one semester isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Retake the class, but this time attend the professors office hours and ask around for a good tutor. Instead of looking at it as a failure, think of it as a challenge. The study and organizational skills you learn from this will help you in the rest of your college classes later.

@Gumbymom ?
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom 27428 replies142 postsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    edited August 8
    As a Biology major hoping to transfer, General Chem is a major pre-req course and you are required to complete the pre-req courses with a C- or higher. For UCD specifically, you need to the complete Chemistry series with a minimum GPA of 2.5 and you are aiming for a 3.3+ Overall GPA for any chance for transfer.

Preparation for majors::
    Requirements in addition to general admission requirements and TAG requirements:

Complete the following courses and maintain a 2.50 GPA in each of the following three series:
    Mathematics 17A/B/C OR Mathematics 21A/B
    Chemistry 2A/B/C
    Biological Sciences 2A/B/C

I would suggest you look for extra help such as a tutor, study groups and attend your professors office hours when you retake the course as suggested by @Groundwork2022 . Organic Chemistry will be an even harder course so if you cannot past the General Chem courses with passing grades, then you might want to you rethink your major.
    edited August 8
    · Reply · Share