Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Any Freshman going for internships?

kguo7kguo7 Registered User Posts: 265 Junior Member
edited January 2007 in College Life
any freshman in college applying for summer internships yet?

ive talked to some people and i heard its rediculously hard to get an internship as a freshman unless you have some family member working for the big companies, which i dont.

if anyone is applying for any internships please refer me to some website or company where i can get started.
Post edited by kguo7 on

Replies to: Any Freshman going for internships?

• willmingtonwavewillmingtonwave Registered User Posts: 3,344 Senior Member
    Not this summer. This summer I am going to earn money to help pay for my living expenses next summer in which I will do an internship. My goal is to intern for a senator or for the Defense Department in Washington, but these internships don't generally pay and Washington can be expensive.
  • MissMichelleMissMichelle Registered User Posts: 690 Member
    I'm applying for a bunch, but I might just totally turn the tables and intern for my mom, a CPA, and pretend that I'm not a biochem major :D
  • wannabazn88wannabazn88 Registered User Posts: 438 Member
    I have an interview for an internship next week. Although, I did have some help. I sent my dad my resume and he gave it to the head of the department that I want to work for. Still though, that only opened the door. I have to earn the internship myself.

And to willmingtonwave, yeah, I do know how those internships are. My dream is to intern for this one organization in D.C., but it does not pay, and doesn't provide housing. yay!
  • evelyn_roseevelyn_rose Registered User Posts: 369 Member
    I'm going to try, but if that doesn't work out, I'll just get a job this summer and apply again next summer.
  • bluebeardbluebeard Registered User Posts: 637 Member
    i'm a senior in high school, and i've been offered an internship in USC's mechanical engineering department with a professor--provided i'm accepted as a mechanical engineer for fall 2007. it's not exactly a prestigious internship, though. i'm basically just going to help set up instruments and clean the lab, but i'm willing to do anything to get some experience. building a relationship with a professor doesn't hurt, either. if that doesn't work out, i'll be getting a job with my city (i have connections through my current job) that will pay from $12.50-15.00. which would you recommend--the "internship" or the job?
  • groovinhardgroovinhard Registered User Posts: 590 Member
    Ho. 12.50-15 dollars an hour? JOB!

But, I mean, that depends on how many hours a week you'll be doing and how pressed you are for cash for college.
  • bluebeardbluebeard Registered User Posts: 637 Member
    like 25 hours a week. i currently make $10/hr in a seasonal, one year job, which provides the opportunity for employment in other departments. i actually put away a CD for $3500 that will mature in september, but i'm such a hardcore saver that i really want to put away more before college even if it's just for extra spending money.
  • katho11katho11 Registered User Posts: 1,533 Senior Member
    I plan on going to my school's Spring career fair thing to at least get my face and name out there (I really don't expect to be offered an internship, though). I'm also going to talk to banks back home and see if one of them will hire me for the summer.
  • maggiemoomaggiemoo Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    Get one!

I go to American in DC and had my first internship second semester freshmen year (paid), moved 400 miles away from home for my summer internship (also paid), just finished my third and am moving on to my fourth.

Everything depends on your major, of course, but with some (like humanities, I'm poli sci) it's a necessity. It might be hard, (it was for me - my family knows no one) but it's totally worth it, and once you get it it's a LOT easier to get your second, third, etc.
  • California-BoltCalifornia-Bolt Registered User Posts: 1,025 Senior Member
    I'm most likely going to major in Poli Sci or IR, so I will try. If I don't get one, I won't really fret over it.
  • kunfuzed101kunfuzed101 Registered User Posts: 761 Member
    I wanted to apply for a CNN internship, but considering I don't live in or near any of their headquarters and that the job itself is unpaid...I'll wait till I'm a senior in college.
  • phobosphobos Registered User Posts: 616 Member
    lol, Intel considered me based on my freshman year resume (first semester no less!). whether they would have actually given me an internship, i don't know...but i didn't go any farther than turning in a resume (didn't do the follow-up stuff) because the closest Intel office was 300 miles away. that and it seemed a little too early to really start going out of my way to build my resume.
  • herecomesthesunherecomesthesun Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    I'm doing an unpaid internship at a smaller business in my hometown. In my experience, internships are not that hard to find if you look beyond the big names and don't expect payment.
  • tokyorevelation9tokyorevelation9 Registered User Posts: 1,102 Senior Member
    I'm applying for an internship at the American Museum of Natural History in New York. Luckily I will be able to live with my relatives in the city, and just commute every day uptown if I get the research position, which pays for all living expenses and has a $3700 stipend.
  • CH121SCH121S Registered User Posts: 1,077 Senior Member
    Ill be doing a summer internship for my major...my college's career fair helpd out a lot (How I interviewed for the job)
This discussion has been closed.