Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Creative ways to save money in college

Replies to: Creative ways to save money in college

• yuccayucca Registered User Posts: 971 Member
    First of all,you should consider graduation in 3 years which will significantly save your money and time(you can spend the 4th year working hard and earn money back)

Cut the cost of living? Don't waste your money on anything you don't really need.Don't buy anything because it's very cheap. Don't go to starbuck,free water is pretty good already. Cook for yourself.
  • blue147blue147 Registered User Posts: 502 Member
    If you're fortunate, find a wealthy relative who will pay your education. Pray to the gods that you don't have to pay them back after you graduate.

But, in all seriousness:
    (a) live at home
    (b) don't buy books, just borrow or rent
    (c) FREE water
    (d) buy what is necessary
    (e) cook for yourself. . .something I have yet to do and learn.
    (f) all of the above
  • 43212344321234 Registered User Posts: 926 Member
    yeah. avoid clothes shopping. or only go during huge sales. or just wear hoodies for the rest of college. what blue147 said is about the cheapest anyone can go. living at home, eating home cooked food, not drinking any coffee, soda, juice, etc. i really don't know what else can be done.
  • alfred.123456alfred.123456 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Just save money everyday, i mean every day, you wouldn't notice that you save a lot after sometime.
  • yuccayucca Registered User Posts: 971 Member
    Don't visit ebay.
  • EsamisaEsamisa Registered User Posts: 2,181 Senior Member
    Get a job (workstudy!). Then you won't have to save money. As much.

I fail.
  • erhswimmingerhswimming Registered User Posts: 1,207 Senior Member
    Make sure to take advantage of any free food possible on-campus.

Buying bottled water in bulk, or just refilling when you can.
  • kguo7kguo7 Registered User Posts: 265 Junior Member
    get a job. you dont generate money by saving.
  • abraxasabraxas Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    If you don't think you have enough time for a job, a great way to make a little extra cash on the side is participating in research studies conducted by behavioral labs on campus for sociologists and psychologists. They rarely take more than an hour or two and pay well, and more than one department may offer them. Just be wary of med school research studies, which can be rather invasive
  • PanglossianPanglossian Registered User Posts: 243 Junior Member
    Don't eat as much; you'd be surprised on how little you can survive on. The tap water is potable, and a single $10 investment in a sport multivitamin will give you all the nutrients you'll be missing out on. Like one of the above posters mentioned, buy bags of rice, just eat that. If you're hard pressed for money, you'll find ways to scrape by.

Is there a Hare Krishna line at your school? You can always buy a pizza once a week, and eat one slice from it everyday.

It worked for me for an entire semester, though I don't recommend it.
  • InquilineKeaInquilineKea - Posts: 2,309 Member
    Ohmygod this thread is so awesome.

Yeah, actually, what I'm doing is this:

I stay overnight in the library 3 nights per week. So I only have to commute between home and school for 2 roundtrips per week. There is only one risk: the risk of theft: but I found a place in the library where I can put my backpack behind some narrow passageway between the tables and the wall, so someone has to go under a table to grab it.

Also, if your library has library reserves, you could use the books there as textbooks rather than buying them. OR, you can download some textbooks off bittorrent.

==
    but what about hot water? (for the coffee beans I bring to school). Does anyone know of any good ways? I just go up to the coffee shop and ask them for hot water, which they dispense for free, but I'm wary of doing it too much.
  • 43212344321234 Registered User Posts: 926 Member
    ^--- what about showering and food? well, i guess you can probably shower at the gym, and get a locker there for about $5 and leave clean clothes there. but you'd have to buy food too, and that costs $$$. well i guess you can leave cup noodles there too, so you can live on that. i guess i just answered my own questions. lol

do you sleep in the library? that's so uncomfortable i bet
  • leah377leah377 Registered User Posts: 3,834 Senior Member
    It helps me to withdraw cash from my checking account at the beginning of every week to use instead of my debit card (it's too easy to go a little swipe-happy & not keep track of how much you're spending..).
  • PearlinthemistPearlinthemist Registered User Posts: 697 Member
    For the question about hot water/coffee...

There are probably microwaves available somewhere on your campus. Bring a microwave safe mug, tap water, microwave it - voila, hot water

Also, at the coffee shop on my campus, it costs less money if you bring your own mug/cup (you can also get a slightly larger serving size) - about $1
  • EntityEntity Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    Go to all the free-food events you can.
This discussion has been closed.