Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Stereotyping by College Major

Replies to: Stereotyping by College Major

• keepittoyourselfkeepittoyourself Registered User Posts: 1,546 Senior Member
    I don't think you know what an ad hominem is.

As for your second stereotype:
    "Sounds like something at a trade school" is not a stereotype any more than "sounds like something at a University" is a stereotype. This is about what you think someone with those majors acts like, not where you think they got the degree.

Looking at it, it seems clear that the stereotype is that the major is not particularly abstract or academic, but is more job focused, and might be more similar to something studied at a trade school. And the students might be more like those you would expect to find at a trade school.

Clear enough?
  • JeSuisJeSuis Registered User Posts: 1,930 Senior Member
    You are just pretending not to speak English.

You discredited my last three examples not based on any fundamental issue with what I said, but because you believed I was being obnoxious.
    Clear enough?

Ah, yes. Crystal clear when you make a string of assumptions as to what the person meant. And by making these assumptions you're also proving the exact point I was trying to make.
    And the students might be more like those you would expect to find at a trade school.

Again, this still isn't a stereotype! Acting like someone at a trade school is not a stereotype. You don't stereotype a group of people by referring to a second group of people. You give a description, which is what you did--Bravo! The other person did not.

I didn't come here to start a debate. Feel free to respond, but I'm finished. I'll simply leave you with this...

"Stereotype an English major."

"Hmm, sounds like something you'd study at a University."
    I didn't come here to start a debate. Feel free to respond, but I'm finished. I'll simply leave you with this...

Sorry to hear that you're bowing out of the argument. Better luck next time.
  • GeologyRocksGeologyRocks Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    Time to get this thread back on track!!

Biochem: Can't decide between chemistry and biology so compromise is the next best thing
    History: They got a 5 on an AP history-related test in high school and now they want to major in it

Geology
  • pengu82pengu82 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Geology: A dude who works in a rock mine. Slightly insane.

Classics+Physics with a minor in theater+art (it's an option at my school...combines tech theater with art.)

Thanks!
  • CorvusCorvus Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Wants to be the next Leonardo Da Vinci. Probably beats everyone as Trivial Pursuit.

Physics/philosophy.
    Someone who thinks way way way too much

agriculture
  • D3v0chkaD3v0chka Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Someone who was in FFA in high school. Probably an outdoorsy type.

Anthropology
  • JazzedJazzed Registered User Posts: 261 Junior Member
    Anthropology--Jock who was either coaxed into the major by staff whose job it is to make sure athletes don't flunk out or who was simply too lazy to read past the first major in the alphabetical college guidebook.

Physics + Philosophy
  • tangentlinetangentline Registered User Posts: 1,116 Senior Member
    "My majors are some of the most fundamental and abstract out of them all. I'll take any of you more complicated majors based off of mine on in hand to hand mental combat."

Pre-Nursing
    Someone not smart enough for med school and/or doesnt want to waste a million years (and a million dollars) in med school

dairy science
    Loves to see how people record their daily thoughts and feelings.

Master of wine.
  • CorvusCorvus Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @Tangentline: hit the nail on the head.

Master of wine- has a French accent. Probably holds pinky up while drinking. May or may not have an aversion to wine being referred to as "booze", and holds it above all other lower, scummy alcoholic beverages. Has contempt for any known or suspected beer enthusiasts.

How about this one- physics (emphasis toward the theoretical)/military history.
  • alkayyalkayy Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    any architecture stereotypes? im too lazy to read through this whole thread right now
    Architecture: lazy but somehow convinced they work harder than anybody else.
This discussion has been closed.