Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Professor lost my final

2»

Replies to: Professor lost my final

• galoisiengaloisien - Posts: 3,741 Senior Member
    Were you confident that you did very well on the exam? If not, I would go for the watered-down version. ;)

Also, still be polite to your prof. Give her the benefit of the doubt. Honey attracts more than vinegar, even if you do have the moral high ground.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,946 Senior Member
    This happened to me.

I was taking calculus as the last course needed for my BA before going to grad school (I had taken a semester off and still needed to make up one course, and for some insane reason I decided that every educated person ought to have studied calculus, so I signed up for it at Harvard Extension. I had already fulfilled my science requirement, I might add. Oh well.)

Anyway, I had a B+ going into the final. I took it and flew off to another state for a couple months. When I came back, no grade. I contacted the prof, who said he couldn't find my final. He said that I could retake it, but that it would be UNFAIR to allow me more than 1 day to study for it--after a gap of like 2 months!!! So after 24 hours of frantic review, I go in and take the final again. A couple of weeks pass. No grade. I go to the extension school office and say I MUST have a grade so that I can take a transcript to my college and get a BA because I am starting grad school NEXT WEEK. They tell me that the prof says he has lost my final AGAIN!! I tell them to tell the professor that I need at least a C to get credit. He calls in a grade: C. Bear in mind that I was getting a B+ when all this started. The ES people let me know that they think this stinks, but they put it on my transcript and off I go.

I've been screwed over by teachers and professors in many ways, but this remains one of the worst. (One of the reasons why I continue to think that anonymous standardized tests have their place in admissions, rather than just grades.)

Even if he hadn't actually lost my second final, even if I did really badly on it and he was trying to give me a break, this was a situation HE had created by losing the first one and then not allowing me a reasonable amount of time to prepare for the retake. One day after a gap of months? And I was getting a B+? He should of at the very least given me a B.
  • sleepersleeper Registered User Posts: 233 Junior Member
    Talk about getting screwed over like none other. If they lost your final not once, but TWICE, they should have at the least given you what you had going into the final which was the B+.
  • legendofmaxlegendofmax Registered User Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    That is absolutely ridiculous.
2»
This discussion has been closed.