Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Baseball course a hit at Maine college

Replies to: Baseball course a hit at Maine college

• maritemarite Registered User Posts: 21,586 Senior Member
    I should have known that Red Sox Nation is well represented on CC! :)

You can start another Sons of Sam Horn chain of prayers.
  • COlsen573COlsen573 Registered User Posts: 881 Member
    why not spend your time learning something that is useful
  • fireflyscoutfireflyscout Registered User Posts: 5,444 Senior Member
    Speaking of baseball, here's an article about a baseball ethics course taught at Carleton last term:
    Ranking baseball’s ethical transgressions -- The Hardball Times
  • BP-TheGuy88BP-TheGuy88 Registered User Posts: 1,437 Senior Member
    being a big baseball fan i'd love if my school offered courses like that. i've heard of schools that also teach courses in comic books as well. my friend took one of those at her school. students get caught up so much in getting requirements they sometimes don't get the chance to take a course they'll genuinely love. i think so far the only courses i've enjoyed out of the core reqs have been stats and ancient roman history. other than that they all pretty much tedious.
  • luckycharmedluckycharmed Registered User Posts: 247 Junior Member
    I have a couple friends in that class (it is a first year seminar) and they love it, for what it's worth.
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Registered User Posts: 7,245 Senior Member
    You can learn a lot about American society using baseball as the jumping off point...

and lots of colleges have classes like these...

a quick look shows my school with:
    Physiology of Lance Armstrong
    Psychopath Cinema
    Literature and Medicine

my college requires a freshmen seminar for all freshmen, they max out at 15 students per class, and they are almost all "writing intensive" which covers the freshmen writing requirement. You can place out of the writing requirement if you have the AP score, but you still need to take a seminar, so you basically have to take it anyway, although there are a couple that are not "writing intensive". And since you have to take them, they have tons of subjects. Some are fairly standard, but some are "out there". There have been classes on Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and Sherlock Holmes Mysteries... etc.
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Registered User Posts: 7,245 Senior Member

It is not useful to learn about the history of American society? I am glad you have arbitrarily labeled some subjects useful and others not.
  • WeskidWeskid Registered User Posts: 1,288 Senior Member
    What do you define as useful? I think any class is worth taking if it stretches your mind or makes you look at things differently, which a baseball class most certainly could do if taught well.

And because other people have been playing this game, here are some of my favorite Freshmen Year Initiative titles from classes offered this year at my school:

--Resisting the Romance in Black and White and Technicolor (African American Studies)
    --Haiti: Myths and Realities (Anthropology. This prof teaches several classes on Haiti and Voodoo, all of which are supposed to be excellent)
    --Three Great Myths: Prometheus, Persephone, and Dionysus (Classic Civ)
    --National Parks: Geology, Ecology and Geoenvironmental Issues (Environmental Science)
    --Travel Narratives and African History (History)
    --Mathematical Views: A Cultural Sampler (Math)
    --Music and Downtown New York, 1950 – 1970 (Music)
    --Reading Stories (Russian)
    --In a Manner of Speaking: An Introduction to Classical Rhetoric (Classic Civ)
    -- Forensics: The Real Science Behind CSI (Chem)
    -- An Invitation to Numbers (Math)

Probabley the coolest sounding class title at my school is: "God After the Death of God: Postmodern Echoes of Premodern Thought." Though as you may be able to tell from the subtitle, that class is FAR from a joke.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,946 Senior Member
    The course as described in the article sounds quite interesting, and very appropriate for a freshman seminar aimed at getting kids to look beyond the obvious, do various forms of research, and write.
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Registered User Posts: 7,532 Senior Member
    Hey Dogwood, things are looking better than I thought!

Oh me of little faith... :-)
  • sleepersleeper Registered User Posts: 233 Junior Member
    I would probably fall in love with this class since I'm a baseball fanatic.
  • DogwoodDogwood Registered User Posts: 495 Member
    All right - All together now: "Sweet Caroline, ba ba ba, Good times never looked so good -so good so good so good." Gotta love those Red Sox! Two of my children are going to Sunday night's game. Sweet! (or if you prefer - Wicked Awesome!!)
    "I've been inclined, ba ba ba, To believe they never would!"

Red Sox just set a playoff record by beating LAA 11 times in a row in the post-season. I suggest they hire bodyguards next season the next time they go to LA to play a game.

I'm sorry Angels fans, you must be SO frustrated. You have the best team in MLB! You deserve some post-season success! Good thing it's laid-back LA. Because if the situation were reversed, there'd be blood in the streets of Boston. .

BTW, Jason Bay = home runs AND defense. I loved Manny.... but I don't miss him.
  • sleepersleeper Registered User Posts: 233 Junior Member
    Frustrated? Yeah, go ask a Cubs fan and see how they feel.

Let's sweep them tonight! Go Dodgers!
    Ohhh Cubbies fans.... it was not long ago at all that we Red Sox fans were feeling your same pain.... it WILL happen for you some day, hopefully soon!
This discussion has been closed.