Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A college action plan?

AtomicCafeAtomicCafe Registered User Posts: 867 Member
edited October 2008 in College Life
This question is going to seem so childish, but...

In high school, I only learned about that whole "Action Plan" my Junior year. It had what you should be doing all four years outlined to keep you on track. As such, I lost a number of opportunities and didn't find out about certain things until later. (I don't know if I'm using the right name, but by Action Plan, I mean that list of: PSAT in Sophomore year, SAT Junior year, apply in summer of senior year, so on.)

I don't want to be left behind, so to speak, in college. I plan on attending grad school, and I wonder if there's any sort of similar plan for college to get to the next step.
Post edited by AtomicCafe on

Replies to: A college action plan?

• nysmilenysmile Registered User Posts: 5,850 Senior Member
    In college, you meet with your academic advisor at least twice a year to discuss schedules, future plans, etc. He/She will advise you through the process but you are responsible for bringing the subject up and asking questions.
  • AUlostchickAUlostchick Registered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    Links | Advisement | College of Liberal Arts | Auburn University
    Here is an academic planning guide that is listed on my college's website. It might help you out some. It's pretty general, but it'll give you some ideas at least.
  • AtomicCafeAtomicCafe Registered User Posts: 867 Member
    Thank you both! The Auburn guide was a good start, thanks. I think as long as I have a general idea, I'll at least know what to ask advisors.

Which leads me to: are academic advisors easily available? My high school counselors were always impossible to schedule a meeting with, but from the college students I've spoken to, it seems like college advisors tend to range from being easy to talk with to being impossible to schedule.
  • nysmilenysmile Registered User Posts: 5,850 Senior Member
    You shouldn't have any problem meeting with your academic advisor. At many schools, it's mandatory to meet with your advisor before registering for the semester's classes. You meet, go over ideas/suggestions for schedules, and the advisor gives you a PIN number which is necessary for online registration.
    At the minimum, you will meet with your advisor twice a year. It's usually up to the student to set up the appointment but all you have to do is contact him/her and request a meeting.
  • hikidshikids Registered User Posts: 1,284 Senior Member
    Clearly your advisor can help. However, I am an advocate of you taking charge. Your college catalog lays out the various programs, you should plan around that and get advice. But I can't tell you how many time students advisors missed stuff and when it comes time for graduation they are a credit or class short. In some sense you have already seen this -- you did not learn of these things until you were a junior.
This discussion has been closed.