Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

huge campus...

hayzehayze Registered User Posts: 249 Junior Member
edited October 2008 in College Life
How do you manage at a huge campus like Penn State? Are you lost for most of the 1st semester? Bus ride of 45 minutes to get from dorm to class??
Post edited by hayze on

Replies to: huge campus...

• S33DS33D Registered User Posts: 858 Member
    45 mins bus ride?! wow. most of my classes are like a 3-5 min walk away.
  • ticklemepinkticklemepink Registered User Posts: 2,764 Senior Member
    seriously? maybe walking would be faster given the campus traffic?
  • sleepymansleepyman Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    I think i'd rather be at a big school like that than being able to walk to the farthest end of the school from my dorm in 5 minutes.
  • hayzehayze Registered User Posts: 249 Junior Member
    a friend is attending Rutgers. 45 minutes on the bus to get from the dorm to class!! He lives "on campus". He's been late twice. How do people do it??? Crazy....
  • bucknutbucknut Registered User Posts: 31 New Member
    Does he not live on campus? OSU is one of the largest schools in the country adn it takes be about 20 minutes to walk from one side of campus to the other
  • HisGraceFillsMeHisGraceFillsMe Registered User Posts: 4,782 Senior Member
    I love being on a smaller campus. It's nice to be able to roll out of bed 15 minutes before class starts and still get there early.
    I love being on a smaller campus. It's nice to be able to roll out of bed 15 minutes before class starts and still get there early.

Yeah but I hate starting the day without taking a shower, brushing teeth, and barely eating anything.
  • HisGraceFillsMeHisGraceFillsMe Registered User Posts: 4,782 Senior Member
    ^It's all about your personal preference, I suppose. By 15 minutes I meant that I spend roughly 5 throwing on some clothes, brushing my teeth and pulling my hair back. Then I'm able to get to class in 10.
  • hikidshikids Registered User Posts: 1,284 Senior Member
    Get a bike might help. It's one way to deal with it. I have to admit, the Bus rides turned D off to the place.
  • CaseSpartan10CaseSpartan10 Registered User Posts: 321 Member
    lol @ sleepyman, you clearly don't know how to be a college student.

I also like walking from one side of campus to the other in <20 mins.
  • USMC_JimUSMC_Jim Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    PSU alum, University Park all four years.

I don't know who gave you that 45-minute bus ride hogwash, but that's absolute bull. It might take 45 minutes for the Loop to do a full circuit of the campus, but why would you do that when it runs both directions? Freshman year I lived in East halls, my first class was in EE West, and my second was across campus in the Forum 15 minutes after the first let out. I walked the whole thing, and made it to class just fine. Just because the campus is huge doesn't mean you have to walk the whole thing every day either. Most of the East side of campus is residence halls, if you schedule while looking at a map you can probably stay in 3 buildings for most of your freshman year. Seriously, it's not that big a deal. If you barely make it the first day of class, let your professor know you're coming a long way on a tight schedule. S/he will usually understand and accommodate you.
  • beanieboobeanieboo Registered User Posts: 718 Member
    i love the size of BC's campus. nice and small and compact. takes 15 minutes to walk from the two farthest points (not including newton). between the farthest classrooms its 5 min tops. i also liked the size of the other schools i visited like lehigh, villanova, and penn. i went to UMD last year and did a full cmapus tour iwth my friend and it took foreverrrr. even though its beatiful, i like not having to walk 20 minutes in freezing winter or pouring rain.
    lol @ sleepyman, you clearly don't know how to be a college student.
    lol I'm not saying I haven't done that before, I've done that far too much and I'm just saying if I could choose I would like to get ready properly most mornings.

I hate being smelly (my hair gets greasy and dandruffy without a shower so deodorant doesn't help), I hate starving for 1-2 hours, and well brushing teeth isn't necessary but its nice when I can.
  • catsushicatsushi Registered User Posts: 1,970 Senior Member
    Yeah I like a smaller campus...it's 3:30, and my swim practice starts at 4. Yet here I am, on the computer in my dorm chatting away on CC.
  • dramakitty92428dramakitty92428 Registered User Posts: 676 Member
    omg sleepyman i go crazy when i don't brush my teeth first thing when i wake up.....
This discussion has been closed.