Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The hardest type of graduate school?

wakkawakka Registered User Posts: 269 Junior Member
edited September 2013 in College Life
I just want to know your thoughts. This is just a general question.

Medical? Business? Engineering? or Law?

and why?
Post edited by wakka on

Replies to: The hardest type of graduate school?

• glennnatglennnat Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    Business schools are jokes, engineering not as hard as you think and law school is competitive but its not HARD. If your doing a masters in enginerring odds are you don't find engineering subjects hard. I'd say medical school, it is the one where even real smart or good people have problems.

MBA is the easiest it is full of people who have been out of school for years and are rusty so no one expects too much of you. Maybe 1 hard courser per semester
  • FutureCFOFutureCFO Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    Just wondering glenn - why are business schools jokes? And maybe in some MBA programs it is full of people as you described, but not all of them especially the top tier ones
  • Deker87Deker87 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    In my opinion, there is no such thing as a "hard" and "easy" type of grad school. If the classes fails to interests you then its going to be a tough and long road. I don't care if its rocket science or introduction to basket-weaving.
  • ISUClubISUClub Registered User Posts: 790 Member
    My friend's uncle went to college studying in one of the engineering departments. He then went to law school and was like.... "this stuff is nothing compared to what they make you do in engineering."
  • reesezpiecez103reesezpiecez103 Registered User Posts: 1,246 Senior Member
    Glennat, I don't think that is necessarily true. My father went to Michigan business school right after college, and while he did very well, he thought it was very challenging and interesting. I think it really depends on what you make of it, what classes you take, and which subjects really "click" with you.
  • QwertyKeyQwertyKey Registered User Posts: 4,590 Senior Member
    ^He got an MBA right out of undergrad?
  • LirazelLirazel Registered User Posts: 352 Member
    Law is lots harder than a Ph.D program.
  • QwertyKeyQwertyKey Registered User Posts: 4,590 Senior Member
    ^Which one? PHD in general studies, at Generic University?
  • whoswithwhatnowwhoswithwhatnow - Posts: 188 Junior Member
    a friend who was a civil engineering major, now in a top law program, says his undergrad was harder. i doubt it gets any easier if it was a phd compared to a b.s.
  • ManayyManayy Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    is med school hard??
  • pierrechnpierrechn - Posts: 1,505 Senior Member
    i think med school is hard, they face real life issues. other than that its LONGgggggggg
  • reesezpiecez103reesezpiecez103 Registered User Posts: 1,246 Senior Member
    QwertyKey - yes, he did. He applied to Michigan directly out of undergrad, and decided that if he didn't get in, he would take a few years off to work, but he wanted to go right away. He got in, so that's what he did.
  • silence_kitsilence_kit Registered User Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    My guess is that Ph. D. programs, where you are expected to do original research, are much more difficult than any business, law, or medicine degree where you just take classes and learn facts that people before you have discovered.
  • XptboyXptboy Registered User Posts: 321 Member
    Law = most likely to get bad grades
    Med = most hard?
    Engineering = ???
    PHD = most study and research
    Business = go to las vegas to network
  • peter_parkerpeter_parker - Posts: 923 Member
    Med school is probably the worst - it's just years of intensive work.

Since getting a pH.D can take anywhere from 5-8 years usually, I'd say it's more difficult than 3 years in law school - which just involves going to more lectures/ classes/ passive learning anyway.
This discussion has been closed.