Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Sophomore..need to decide on a major

NeilCartwrightNeilCartwright Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I just started the second semester of my second year, with 32 credit hours. I'm majoring in sociology but still really need to decide on a major.

I was considering Accounting, Law school, or AFROTC (air force officer). I'm not particularly strong in the sciences. People say to "follow your passion" but tbh id enjoy all 3. My main motivator is finding a career that i can be financially stable in (with out getting into loads of debt). While having a decent work/life balance.

So of those 3 which seems like the best financial decision?

Replies to: Sophomore..need to decide on a major

• GoodnyteGoodnyte Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    I'm confused. You said you are majoring in sociology but really need to decide on a major. Do you mean you are minoring in sociology?

SKIP TO THE BOTTOM FOR SHORT(ER) ANSWER

Anyways, as far as anything involving the government goes (AFROTC) things aren't going to well. I do think things will pick up, however. Law school might lead to debt as you end up going to graduate school. I am not positive in anything on Accounting. Based on the fact you want our opinions based upon finances, I would say accounting or AFROTC. Both career paths are relatively stable, finance wise. There will always be a need for all 3 of the majors you present but, plenty of students are graduating law school and not have any jobs to go too.

Basically, I say AFROTC or accounting. The short answer to the long one above
  • thatonecoolbrothatonecoolbro Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    The way of the future are STEM majors. I'd recommend computer science
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,452 Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    AFROTC is not a major; it is preparation to become an officer in the USAF, while studying some major in college related to jobs in the USAF.

Here is a list of majors that AFROTC cadets major in: http://www.afrotc.com/scholarships/high-school/schools-and-majors/#
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,452 Senior Member
    The way of the future are STEM majors.

Not all STEM majors are in high demand as far as employment goes.
This discussion has been closed.