Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my chances?

ArthurLMArthurLM Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
Hello, College Confidential!

I am a senior in high school and college decisions have never been so stressful. Therefore, I have a few questions regarding my possible major and where it can take me.
A little bit about myself: I am outgoing and a good student. I have been playing the piano and singing since an early age and have always been surrounded by music. I lived in New Jersey my entire life, but moved to Florida around 3 years ago.

As I just mentioned, I have always been interested and involved in music. However, due to some people I met and performances I saw, I recently became passionate about theatre. Even though I do not have much acting experience, I believe I could become involved in theatre in the future somehow. I even considered majoring in musical theatre in college. However, I know that majoring in music or theatre (no offense to those majors out there) is very good but is also tough. A constant flow of money after college is not guaranteed and I would like to have that luxury.

My father is a very strategic man and works in business a lot. I have worked over the summers with some real estate businesses and I have been to my father's workplace as well. Naturally, I received some of my father's strategic thinking skills and I realized that I enjoy business and managing things. I always plan what I'm going to do before I do it, I keep everything (*everything*) organized, and I love it when things work out to everyone's advantage. But where does the music and theatre come in? I want to major in business because I think it will open many doors... but I cannot just let go of the arts. The performing arts is very competitive and I don't think I have enough talent (especially acting) to be very successful in that. Maybe with more experience I'll be able to be on Broadway or something related.
Then I realized the following: If I love managing things and I love theatre and music, why don't I do something that combines the two? I discovered stage management. I loved the idea of it because I would be in charge of many things, dealing with many and different types of people, making sure everything is in place, being social all the time, and I would be surrounded by theatre and music (if it's a musical). I found some colleges that offer things like an arts management major, but I feel that it may limit me to business that only has to do with the arts. Therefore, I kinda want to stick with general business. That way, many more doors will be open and, if I change my mind about stage management, I can use my degree for some other business. I also looked into minoring in psychology (which also interests me because my mother is a social worker and I enjoy helping people and understanding how our brains work) which I think is a very good course, especially with theatre and music. Also, although I am not majoring in theatre or music, I will become involved in all the groups and plays available wherever I go to college.

Based on all you guys who have experience with these things, do you think majoring in business (or business management) and minoring in psychology is a good mix? Do you think that even though I will not major or minor in theatre or music, I will have a chance at performing or becoming a stage manager?

Lastly, right now, I am highly considering attending Florida State University. I know it's considered a party school, and I am a Christian, but I believe that they have a very strong fine arts program and I think I will be able to prosper, learn a lot, and make lots of connections there.
Any thoughts?
Thank you! (Sorry for the super long message)

P.S. I posted this under "Business Major" but I did not receive many replies. I'm posting it here hoping to get some more feedback. :)
This discussion has been closed.