right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Computer Science Job Opportunites

tiastrattontiastratton 7 replies13 threads New Member
Okay so I go to the University of South Florida and I'm thinking of switching my major to Computer Science. Does gpa and where you go to college have an impact on where you could get hired in the future? Because if it does impact it then what's the point ya know? I mean there is a point into doing this stuff but if I can't get a decent job somewhere bc there is someone better that can do it then should I even change my major? I feel like if I keep my gpa high and do a lot of interning I could maybe get a job somewhere decent (Google, Facebook, etc). Also, does me being a Korean girl also have an impact on the hiring process? Pls help me
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Computer Science Job Opportunites

• MITer94MITer94 4728 replies19 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2016
    @tiastratton Only switch to computer science if you are committed. CS is a very broad field, and a lot of subjects are difficult to master, IMO. I am starting a master's in CS.
    Does gpa and where you go to college have an impact on where you could get hired in the future?
    Yes and yes. However from what I've seen, GPA and past work experience are more important.
    Also, does me being a Korean girl also have an impact on the hiring process?
    For most places (esp. US Government and contractors), no. Your skillset is often most important.

edited August 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12767 replies163 threads Super Moderator
    GPA sometimes has an impact, but typically only at high-profile employers and in specific, special training programs (like some companies have special management training programs that ask for a minimum GPA). But most employers don't really care what your GPA is.

The same is pretty much true of where you went to college. The vast majority of employers don't care. I will say that top/elite colleges are overrepresented at highly desirable employers (like Google), but that doesn't mean that a USF grad can't work at Google. I work at Microsoft, and we have lots of local public university graduates (especially WA schools) at our WA offices.

Also...well, overtly, your race and gender won't (or isn't supposed to) have an impact on hiring. In reality, this is a very complicated question - race and gender have always unconsciously played a role in employment and hiring. However, this really isn't something you can do anything about - or change - so don't worry about it overly much!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity