right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Carreer choices with BSBA in Finance, Masters in Poly Sci or International Relations?

philbegasphilbegas 2924 replies73 threads Senior Member
edited August 2016 in College Majors
Hi guys,
I just wanted to pick your brains because I'm currently on track to get a finance major, but for graduate I'd like to get a polysci or IR degree. While I am interested in finance (Risk analysis, investment banking, etc) I am MORE interested in politics, but I know that finance majors tend to make more money, especially if they're CFA-certified. If I wanted to be in a political career, but perhaps more on the financial side what kind of jobs do you suggest me considering for my future?
I was thinking:
1. Financial side of a nonprofit
2. Campaign finance
3. Lobbying

But I'm a bit stumped, what kind of stuff am I missing?
Thanks in advance,
Phil
edited August 2016
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Carreer choices with BSBA in Finance, Masters in Poly Sci or International Relations?

• philbegasphilbegas 2924 replies73 threads Senior Member
    Oops, Career*
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12767 replies163 threads Super Moderator
    If you wanted to go into campaign finance or the financial side of a nonprofit you wouldn't need an MA in political science or IR - that's be a waste of money. You could go into that with your bachelor's degree in finance, maybe with an MBA or MS in finance added onto that.

If you're interested in lobbying...lots of people do lobbying without a political science or IR degree.

Basically, "What can I do with a graduate degree in X" is the backwards approach. The best approach is figuring out what you want to do first and then getting the graduate degree you need to do that thing later. If you don't know exactly what you want to do, it's best to work for a few years first and then figure out what graduate degree you may need later.
    · Reply · Share
  • philbegasphilbegas 2924 replies73 threads Senior Member
    I was mostly looking for input about what kind of careers people choose who are interesting in something to do with politics and finance.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity