Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Six Myths About Choosing a College Major

2»

Replies to: Six Myths About Choosing a College Major

• PengsPhilsPengsPhils Forum Champion Northeastern, Forum Champion Math/Computer Science Posts: 3,691 Forum Champion
    @comom25 It's usually something you have to dig for. Many will specifically say, some will hide it. Asking for a major does not mean they admit by major. Usually, the schools with big differences in admit rates will be upfront with it.
  • MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 3,646 Senior Member
    A liberal arts college doesn't require you to apply to a specific major, but at some of the really elite ones, it may be hard to do well in certain majors, such as economics or math. In that situation, though, the student might choose to switch to something less difficult for them.
  • Engineer80Engineer80 Registered User Posts: 423 Member
    Liberal arts majors aren't going to be the ones designing the airplanes, robots, artificial intelligence devices and applications, computers, medical devices, bridges, buildings, drugs, et. al,, of the future. That will always be the province of engineers and scientists. As I used to tell my students in the first year Electronic Circuit Analysis and Engineering Physics courses, engineers and scientists create the world. Robots will not replace creative engineering work, only tasks that can be reduced to a procedure or algorithm. Anything original in technology will always come from the human mind. All ABET accredited engineering schools already require a significant humanities and liberal arts component.
  • determination500determination500 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    They can call my major (Geology) whatever they want (STEM, geoscience, earth science). It is my interest and it is not superior nor inferior to any other kind of field. I feel for those dealing with the fact that people judge them based upon the fact they are not "STEM". Engineering is an interesting field, but hey, so is European Studies or History.
2»