right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Six Myths About Choosing a College Major

Dave_BerryDave_Berry 492 replies2619 threadsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
"Many colleges ask you to choose a major as early as your senior year of high school, on your admissions application. Yet there’s a good chance you’ll change your mind. The Education Department says that about 30 percent of students switch majors at least once.

Students get plenty of advice about picking a major. It turns out, though, that most of it is from family and friends, according to a September Gallup survey. Only 11 percent had sought guidance from a high school counselor, and 28 percent from a college adviser. And most didn’t think that the advice was especially helpful. Maybe it’s because much of the conventional thinking about majors is wrong." ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/03/education/edlife/choosing-a-college-major.html
19 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Six Myths About Choosing a College Major

• ZinheadZinhead 2473 replies137 threads Senior Member
  • paul2752paul2752 4777 replies349 threads Senior Member
    Every major is mostly how much valuable, career related experience you make in college.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChembiodadChembiodad 2414 replies21 threads Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    I think Mark Cuban, amongst several other tech icons, are debunking the liberal arts myth http://www.businessinsider.com/mark-cuban-liberal-arts-is-the-future-2017-2.

Jonathan Rosenberg at Google reiterates same https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/21/these-college-majors-are-the-most-robot-resistant.html
    edited November 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5630 replies1 threads Senior Member
    "I'm glad we're finally seeing some articles counteracting the STEM frenzy that the college-bound population and their families seem to be in these days."

As a former math major, I agree with you. For me math was a great major. It is not for everyone.
    · Reply · Share
  • Chocolate-TacoChocolate-Taco 57 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Good read. Thanks for sharing the article. I didn't identify my major until Junior year in college, after I knew what was available to me and what my interests were.
    · Reply · Share
  • DMCAtlantaDMCAtlanta 1 replies0 threads New Member
    this is a good read . but if you are talented enough then you should see the incline of industry to choose more specific majors out of your interests. for example if i live in atlanta i would be choosing my choices on basis of incline of internet https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/dmc-atlanta
    · Reply · Share
  • LolImANoobLolImANoob 32 replies3 threads Junior Member
    As much as I want to believe that your major and name of college doesn't matter compared to what you do with your education, I can't get myself to put "undecided" on my application rather than a STEM related major. I definitely think this has to do with how I've been raised as well as thousands and thousands of articles bolstering computer science or engineering.
    · Reply · Share
  • SpacemanEdSpacemanEd 324 replies0 threads Member
    I'm with Cuban. A Philosophy primer shows you how to think and ask the right questions. We could use more philosophy and less 1/0 black/white ideology.
    · Reply · Share
  • comom25comom25 196 replies9 threads Junior Member
    A Q abt majors in college apps.. if i choose 2 majors on my common app and a college doesnt think i can get into either, do they then suggest an alternate or do they reject my app..?
    · Reply · Share
  • PengsPhilsPengsPhils 3998 replies28 threadsForum Champion Northeastern, Forum Champion Math/Computer Science Forum Champion
    edited November 2017
    @comom25

That entirely depends on the school. Some don't even admit by major.
    edited November 2017
    · Reply · Share
    @PengsPhils then i dont understand why the STEM are harder to get into the same school that undecided!
    · Reply · Share
  • PengsPhilsPengsPhils 3998 replies28 threadsForum Champion Northeastern, Forum Champion Math/Computer Science Forum Champion
    @comom25 That is the case for many schools but not all. For those that do admit by major, STEM and other competitive programs are indeed harder to get into.
    · Reply · Share
    @PengsPhils so how do we know which do and which dont? or do we assume that becasue they ask for majors on app they do the remaining dont?
    but most ask majors on apps dont they?
    · Reply · Share
    @comom25 It's usually something you have to dig for. Many will specifically say, some will hide it. Asking for a major does not mean they admit by major. Usually, the schools with big differences in admit rates will be upfront with it.
    · Reply · Share
  • MassmommMassmomm 3993 replies82 threads Senior Member
    A liberal arts college doesn't require you to apply to a specific major, but at some of the really elite ones, it may be hard to do well in certain majors, such as economics or math. In that situation, though, the student might choose to switch to something less difficult for them.
    · Reply · Share
  • Engineer80Engineer80 452 replies0 threads Member
    Liberal arts majors aren't going to be the ones designing the airplanes, robots, artificial intelligence devices and applications, computers, medical devices, bridges, buildings, drugs, et. al,, of the future. That will always be the province of engineers and scientists. As I used to tell my students in the first year Electronic Circuit Analysis and Engineering Physics courses, engineers and scientists create the world. Robots will not replace creative engineering work, only tasks that can be reduced to a procedure or algorithm. Anything original in technology will always come from the human mind. All ABET accredited engineering schools already require a significant humanities and liberal arts component.
    · Reply · Share
  • determination500determination500 2 replies3 threads New Member
    They can call my major (Geology) whatever they want (STEM, geoscience, earth science). It is my interest and it is not superior nor inferior to any other kind of field. I feel for those dealing with the fact that people judge them based upon the fact they are not "STEM". Engineering is an interesting field, but hey, so is European Studies or History.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity