Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Having a hard time finding a major

SkyNova20SkyNova20 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited January 7 in College Majors
As an undecided major, I've been researching some majors lately and I can't find a major that suits me the most. I feel like the classes I am taking are just a total waste of time. I'm thinking about dropping out, but I can't, because my family doesn't want me to do that. I have a MWF class and thinking about dropping it, because it's on Friday and I'm on the waitlist for that class (there are no open sections for the class). I'm on the waitlist for another class as well, which is a gen ed. Without those courses, I'm not full-time at all.

I don't know what to do anymore. I talked to my advisor, a career advisor, my family, and took plenty of career tests, nothing worked. What should I even do?

Replies to: Having a hard time finding a major

• juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,618 Super Moderator
    Well, if there's nothing that really suits you best, at a certain point you just have to pick something.

Your major doesn't really matter as much as a lot of college guides and articles would have you think. Sure, there are certain jobs for which having a background is essential - like engineering, or software development, or nursing. But there are also tons and tons of jobs out there for which your major doesn't really matter and the fact that you have a bachelor's degree is the most important part.

For this semester, you need to find alternatives for the general-education classes you've been waitlisted for so that you can be full-time. Most of the time there are several classes you can take to satisfy requirements, so figure out what else you can take, and sign up for the classes that aren't waitlisted as a backup.

For the major itself...seriously, just pick something. Pick it based on what you think has good career prospects or that's sort of mildly interesting and doesn't have a lot of sequenced requirements.