Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Not sure which program to get into? (ota,rn,lpn..)

MelodyxMelodyx Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
edited March 5 in College Majors
Hello all,
just wanted to give a quick background of myself in case it helps. I am a 28 year old mom who has been working as an admin assistant for the past 8 years. While my job is flexible, get to work from home .. I still want personal growth and have always wanted to complete my studies. My major is General Studies, where I have completed most of my general courses.

My issue has always been not knowing what to study, what am I good at etc. Maybe, working from home for so long has created this lack? I know that I have a passion for creative arts, and also have some interests in psychology and some what health care.

I still truly don't know what I want to study, but am realizing that I would like to go back to school for something that I can possibly earn as an associates degree (or certificate) and where has job stability. While, I never thought of getting into health care industry, I feel that getting into a program may open doors to that.

I narrowed it down to:

Occupational therapy assistant: There is only one school in my local area that offers this program. It is a day program, that's the downside. I work full day hours, but I am still considering it if it were to be a great opportunity.

Registered nurse: I would still need to complete a few pre reqs such as two biology classes and two math courses. Then I would still have to take teas exam and see if they would even accept me in the program. Bright side? They offer a part-time program with evening hours. So it's more flexible.

Licensed practical nurse: Certificate. Same or similar requirements as rn, just a shorter program since it's a certificate.

I like the idea of ota, I like that they practice different activities with their patients and it's more rehab than dealing with constant nurse/blood work etc.. However, with rn/lpn I feel there's a lot more options and varieties, if I don't want to do the hospital setting.. I can work in a clinic,nursing home, school, etc.. (right?)

The demand is high so job stability is good. My only thing is I don't know how I feel.. nursing was never my first option, in fact back in high school I always dreaded the thought of working in a hospital, doing blood work etc... But, I am older now and gained an interest in healthcare more of a holistic approach but yeah... reality sort of hit me and while my overall dream would always be to have my own business.. I would never stop feeling incomplete because I started college and never finished. Tired of feeling lost so I sort of just want to pursue something and at least have it be something that requires a degree. Prepare myself and have a back up.

What do you think?