Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Transferring majors

goodschoolboundgoodschoolbound Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
I have heard stories of people being able to transfer from things like East Asia Studies to Biology at top schools. I know this is unethical (if you applied for an easy major and intended to switch when you got there) and I don't plan on doing it, but do they really let people do this?

Replies to: Transferring majors

• juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,678 Super Moderator
    It's not unethical to change your major. Why would it be unethical?

Most colleges do not admit by major. For example, Harvard doesn't admit by major - applying as an English or history major doesn't necessarily give you a leg up over an intended computer science or biology major. At those types of schools, changing your major from East Asian studies to biology is as simple as submitting a form and taking the right classes. Most colleges like to give students the freedom to explore and decide to change their interests, if they want.

The universities and colleges that do admit by major typically do so because they don't have enough resources (professors, equipment, money, etc.) to allow everyone who wants to major in a specific field(s) to do so. This happens because the major is popular, not necessarily because it is more difficult. Some colleges do just want to maintain a high standard of academic excellence in specific programs, or they want to ensure that students can succeed in certain programs because they have the appropriate prerequisite knowledge and skill. But that's often a secondary motivation.

At those colleges, it's still not unethical to change your major. It just may be very difficult to nigh impossible.