right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
1 DAY until our COVID-19's impact on admissions webinar, tomorrow at 3:00 pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Should I Change My Major? (and other minor questions)

BadSoloBadSolo 0 replies1 threads New Member
I'm an undergrad majoring in computer science. After a couple years into the program and further research into prospective careers, I cannot not see myself continuing down this path. I've actually questioned my major decision since my first year, but I thought I would come to like it if I stayed. I've been advised to just sick it out, that I need to learn become passionate, and I have been told that I'm just being lazy. I just don't want to work towards something that could make me miserable. However, I know I'm guaranteed financial stability and can always pursue my passion on the side. Should I stay for another quarter? I'm only halfway done.

I'm also going to see an adviser next week regarding this issue, so I would greatly appreciate it if anyone wants to provide some topics I should be focusing on or any questions I should ask. I usually leave my appointments with nothing helpful because I don't asked the right questions, hahaha.

I should also note that I may be excused for the current quarter due to declining mental health, but nothing is for sure. So if anyone has any career exploration advice during this empty time slot, that would also be welcomed!
Any advice is appreciated, and I'm open to any questions. Thank you! :)

(For reference I go to UCD.)
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I Change My Major? (and other minor questions)

• jym626jym626 56960 replies2988 threads Senior Member
    See if your college offers career counseling
    · Reply · Share
  • 1NJParent1NJParent 1812 replies35 threads Senior Member
    I would, but first speak to your adviser and school counselors. CS major is hugely popular but it isn't a good fit for many students. If you don't enjoy it, you won't do well in it. With increasingly large number of CS graduates in the pipeline, job prospect in the field will become iffy for mediocre students. CS skills will be useful even if you aren't a CS major, so the time/effort you've already put in isn't wasted. Find some majors you're more passionate about and where your CS skills could be put to good use. And don't look back.
    · Reply · Share
  • albertsaxalbertsax 298 replies5 threads Member
    Do you have enough credits to finish a computer science minor? That way, your work won't have been wasted, and you can still look for something better for you.

Jobs are tough for everyone. Studying something you're passionate about will make you a much better job candidate in the long run then limping through compsci.
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 29754 replies312 threads Forum Champion
    edited May 2019
    https://shcs.ucdavis.edu/career-counseling

Using your current courses/credits for a CS minor is an excellent idea.

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https://ucdavis.box.com/s/f6pitqfl2dbaqyrmqdvu3thpu5lhmg8k

Have you considered majoring in Math or Statistics since many of the CS prep courses will fulfill these major requirements?
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity