right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

What should I major in?

nickthekidnickthekid 26 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
I’m finishing up my junior year or high school and have started thinking about what I want to major in in college. However, I have many different interests and am not entirely sure what I should do. I’ve excelled in most of my math and English classes, as I am good with numbers and also a solid reader and writer. I think the science/medical world is out of question as I am not at all interested in it. But I can certainly see myself pursuing a major that marries both my passion for writing and my skills in math. Reply with any majors or careers that might come to mind, thanks so much.
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What should I major in?

• LilacSoulLilacSoul 185 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    Economics? Statistics?
    · Reply · Share
  • nickthekidnickthekid 26 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Yes, I was actually considering these, thank you. Maybe finance or business too?
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7837 replies153 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,990 Senior Member
    How about a career as someone who writes math for websites/ textbooks? As a math teacher, I've done LOTS of freelance "item writing" (writing test questions) for websites, and have written for education websites. I've also written for textbook companies. (I spent 5 years as a SAHM, so this stuff all supplemented our income when the kids were younger.)

You could major in Math, or Math education.
    · Reply · Share
  • aquaptaquapt 1944 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,981 Senior Member
    There are a lot of interesting programs under the "data analytics" umbrella, where you can apply both quantitative and writing skills to a variety of fields of inquiry that may interest you. The Data Analytics major at Denison U is a good example, because it offers a choice of concentrations that reflect the range of possibilities. The "SoDA" Social Data Analytics major at Penn State is another interesting example. Emory's Public Policy Analysis major is great if that focus interests you, as is the similar program at IU-Bloomington. tOSU has a great Data Analytics program too. If the business end of Analytics interests you more, check out schools like Lehigh https://cbe.lehigh.edu/blog/posts/business-analytics-core-our-new-core-curriculum or Babson https://www.babson.edu/academics/undergraduate-school/concentrations/business-analytics/
    · Reply · Share