right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Do any majors fit this bill?

icor1031icor1031 100 replies33 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
I want to learn to write in a way that's: engaging/enjoyable, logically accurate, grammatically accurate, and persuasive.

My assumption is that I'd want a major which is a combination of: marketing/propaganda, rhetoric, English comp, creative writing, and logic.

Does such a major exist? Or, is there one that seems close, even if it doesn't meet all of these points? It can even be one of the majors I listed; I don't intimately understand the content of each.
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do any majors fit this bill?

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22642 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    In any major, you can and will take courses in other areas to complement your major. If you major in creative writing, and you find you need an English course, take it. If you want marketing, take a business course.
    · Reply · Share
  • zapfinozapfino 2714 replies122 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    No single major will fully encompass all the skillsets you mentioned. Since your primary focus is writing and this underpins everything else you mentioned, I would recommend an English major with coursework in literature and writing to develop your skills in "engaging/enjoyable" writing and coursework in English linguistics for the grammar aspect. This could be combined with a second major or minor in Rhetoric or Speech/Communication that includes coursework relevant to the persuasion aspect. Elective coursework in Political Science (political communication) or Psychology (social psychology) could also be relevant to persuasion, too. A major in either of those areas, however, probably shifts the focus away from writing and requires the study of other areas less central to your purpose. The same might be said of a major in Marketing or Advertising, although certain elective courses would be relevant to the persuasion aspect. Elective coursework in a Philosophy department would be useful for developing skills in logic. The study of classical languages would enhance your grammar skills and elective coursework in Greek and Roman rhetoric would be relevant to the persuasion aspect.
    · Reply · Share
  • EconPopEconPop 114 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    icor1031 wrote: »
    I want to learn to write in a way that's: engaging/enjoyable, logically accurate, grammatically accurate, and persuasive.

My assumption is that I'd want a major which is a combination of: marketing/propaganda, rhetoric, English comp, creative writing, and logic.

Does such a major exist? Or, is there one that seems close, even if it doesn't meet all of these points? It can even be one of the majors I listed; I don't intimately understand the content of each.

Investigate majoring in economics and minoring in marketing. Some careers that result from an Economics degree involve a fair amount of writing reports and analysis, proposals and the like. And it would scratch that itch for logic and persuasion.

OTOH, it may not be a creative enough outlet if you primarily enjoy writing fiction.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6567 replies54 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Marketing doesn’t teach you to write in the ways you describe.

But the real question is *why* do you want to go to college to learn to write that way? The larger goal will help you figure out the best path. Remember that at most universities you don’t have to declare a major until the end of 2nd year, so you have time to try classes in several fields.
    · Reply · Share
  • icor1031icor1031 100 replies33 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited September 7
    Thanks for all of the input.
    EconPop wrote: »
    OTOH, it may not be a creative enough outlet if you primarily enjoy writing fiction.

No problem, because I hate fiction.
    edited September 7
    · Reply · Share