right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Does Game Design and Development come under the STEM Majors?

Benny2312Benny2312 6 replies6 threads New Member
I have taken math studies an was wondering if i had to shift to maths HL if i wanted to do this major
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Does Game Design and Development come under the STEM Majors?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 82822 replies738 threads Senior Member
    It can be, if it is a specialized version of computer science.

However, game companies hire lots of general computer science majors, so a computer game design major may not be that advantageous there, but may be limiting for other computing jobs.
    · Reply · Share
  • sdl0625sdl0625 929 replies13 threads Member
    at least where my son is studying (RIT) it is in the college of Computing. Is it going to be a BS or BA? that is where it might differ.
    · Reply · Share
  • Eeyore123Eeyore123 1878 replies23 threads Senior Member
    What do you mean by game design? If you look at USC for an example, they have at least two programs that could be considered game design. One is a concentration in CS. That would be math heavy. The second is a minor in the School of Cinematic Arts. That one is not math heavy.
    · Reply · Share
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad 34017 replies4672 threads Super Moderator
    Using a local school as an example there are two tracks available for game design. One is a BFA with emphasis on creating visuals/backgrounds/characters. The other is a BS with a higher math requirement for doing more of the logic programming.
    · Reply · Share
  • Benny2312Benny2312 6 replies6 threads New Member
    If i was going for a BS would i need to shift to higher level maths or not
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 82822 replies738 threads Senior Member
    If you are aiming for CS, choose a math course intended to prepare students for more math later. Among IB math, this means not math studies SL or math AI SL.
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12783 replies163 threads Super Moderator
    I work in game design, and if you are going for a game design course, I would recommend the higher-level math. There are far more jobs for software developers in games than there are for designers, and a lot of designers come from computer science backgrounds anyway.
    · Reply · Share