right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Major and Two Minors?

ScaredSophomoreScaredSophomore 1 replies1 threads New Member
edited July 10 in College Majors
I've always loved writing and have thought about a career in it for a long time, but my parents won't back me up financially when it comes to that kind of career path. So I have chosen to major in Clinical Child Psychology, but would it also be possible to double minor in Creative Writing and Journalism? Is there a minor that encompasses both? Is there even a major that involves both that I could possibly have as well? Just looking for the best course of action. Specific colleges I'm looking at are Stanford, Johns Hopkins, University of Oklahoma, and the University of Colorado Boulder, maybe even Iowa State?

I just need advice on what to do and what schools would be the best course of action for these classes.
edited July 10
3 replies
Post edited by CCAdmin_Vic on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Major and Two Minors?

  • happy1happy1 24036 replies2408 threads Super Moderator
    It depends on the requirements and what is allowable at the college you attend. Look at the online course catalogs as as a first step
    · Reply · Share
  • blossomblossom 10389 replies9 threads Senior Member
    You need graduate school in order to get licensed as a child psychologist- a doctorate degree for some types of practice/therapy, or a master's in counseling (or similar) for others. But graduating with an undergraduate degree in psychology won't make you a child psychologist.

    You do not need a degree in writing to work professionally as a writer.

    So why not kick the can down the road on your future career/major/minor for now.... and just focus on a college which has lots of majors and academic opportunities you are interested in? You can major in psych and become a journalist or a writer. You might find something you love even more. But at most colleges, a major and two minors is going to be slicing the bologna pretty thin, depending on how complicated the course requirements are for the two minors.
    · Reply · Share
  • ScaredSophomoreScaredSophomore 1 replies1 threads New Member
    Okay, thank you!
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity