right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Is Applied Math a good choice for me?

symmbowLsymmbowL 33 replies30 threads Junior Member
I'm a person who has developed a lot of interests recently. Ever since I was little, I knew I wanted to get a degree in physics or astronomy, but now I have branched out. I was wondering if applied math is a good major for me because of the way I can branch out. I have interests in computer science and tech, finance and investing, and of course my original desire to do physics. I do not know which to pick, so I was thinking of just majoring in applied math so I can combine it with any minor I end up choosing when my interests are more clearly defined. I'm a rising high school senior. I'm also looking to minor in a language as well. Any pointers?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is Applied Math a good choice for me?

• symmbowLsymmbowL 33 replies30 threads Junior Member
    by any minor, I meant any minor that is related to math, such as the ones I listed above (minus the foreign language)
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12829 replies164 threads Super Moderator
    This sounds like a reasonable plan - whatever you decide to minor in, you can get advice from the professors in that department about the math classes that would benefit a career in that area. Applied math does apply to all of those fields, and many more.

Of course, you also have some level of flexibility with the other majors - many physics majors go into quantitative finance, for example.

· Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 6678 replies2 threads Senior Member
    There are quite a few things that you can do with a degree in applied math. My bachelor's was in applied math. My masters was in operations research which is a potential major that you should be aware of.

At one point I ran into someone I had known as an undergraduate student (he was also a math major). He had gone into acoustics. I got to see what he does on a day to day basis. The amount of math that is used in acoustics is huge -- it was quite a cool thing for a math major to see, and probably a cool thing for him to do for a living.

One nit: If you are going to major in applied math, I would recommend that you take some programming / software engineering courses also. MIT has a major "18C" which is math with computer science, which I would have selected if they had it when I was there -- I essentially did select it but by making it up myself. You should be able to come up with something similar at a very wide range of universities and colleges.
    · Reply · Share