Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
2»

Replies to: TCNJ

• stones3stones3 Registered User Posts: 754 Member
    TCNJ is about the BEST choice you could make especially for a teaching degree. They are a leading program in the entire country. There simply is no better program and that goes double for in the state of NJ. good luck
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 419 Member
    My DD had a similar experiance as @bopper and @ekdad212
    I was happily surprised that applying ED definately did not keep her from getting merit aid!
  • ladygriffladygriff Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    I got more money from TCNJ than Rowan, 3 or 4K. Seems no rhyme or reason to that.
  • NJRoadieNJRoadie Registered User Posts: 514 Member
    @ladygriff

What were your stats (SAT/GPA/Class Rank) and high school graduation year? How much did TCNJ offer vs. Rowan's offer?
    What other ECs did you bring to the table?

Always trying to learn about $$ offers for NJ state schools. Thanks!

My foster son and my daughter had very similar SAT, GPA, class rank etc. He graduated in 2015 and was offered $7,500 a year. She graduated in 2016 and was offered $11,500 a year. Neither was offered anything from TCNJ, in spite of both parents being alums. I believe my daughter was offered more money because of her volunteer activities as well as the fact that Henry Rowan (the huge donor to Glassboro State College) died in Jan 2016. There may have been a bump for my kid because of that.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 1,157 Senior Member
    I also wondered if stem kids get more money, but you D is in business, right @NJRoadie ?
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 365 Member
    I definitely think Rowan gives more of the money to STEM/Engineering. The $5m donation announced last week will mean nice merit for highly qualified business majors for the next few years as well.
    @MACmiracle and @NJWrestlingmom
    Neither of my two kids is majoring in engineering, and yes my daughter is in the school of business.
    There was a parent with a 2016 Eng major (same class as my D). He was offered less money than she, and when we privately chatted about it, she went ahead and contacted Rowan and received more money. I searched for the conversation so I could provide evidence, but alas, I could not find it.

My opinion is that ENG majors actually were more competitive to get admitted to Rowan, and received lower amounts of merit aid at Rowan.
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 365 Member
    @NJRoadie that's good news for me! My daughter is a freshman in high school and has decided she loves Rowan after her brother decided on it. Her stats will be way higher than his so we are hoping for some merit for her. But she definitely will not be engineering! A lot can change before she's ready, but we're hoping she keeps it on her list of favorites!
    I did the same thing - I went to TCNJ and had fallen in love with it 'before it was my turn to go" - when we toured it with my sibling :) My parents were not sure it was a good idea for me to follow, but it worked out well!

Best of luck!
  • ekdad212ekdad212 Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    Same thing happened with my kids! Daughter was a HS sophomore when my son toured TCNJ. He didn't like it, but she got bit by the bug and fell in love. I think it's a good idea to have younger siblings attend college tours because the more campuses they see, the better. They might find "the one".
2»