Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

TCNJ's sciences, need reviews

Replies to: TCNJ's sciences, need reviews

• NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 687 Member
    FDU has a full tuition scholarship you can apply for with a 3.5 and 1350. It's not highly ranked, but I think it does have a number of science majors and a small, suburban campus.
  • NJgirl398NJgirl398 Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    TCNJ freshman here, current Bio major. The Bio Major IS competitive, there is no doubt. The students are very talented and strive to be the best, they really keep to themselves. In order succeed in such a difficult program, you need to have lots of drive. Chemistry major, as far as I can tell, seems like a more welcoming environment, but still slightly competitive, since it is a natural science and many are premed. Psychology major is very different in terms of environment. It's in the HSS school, and there are no science labs unless you are in biopsychology. There is much less competition in the major, as I have heard from others in the major.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 1,459 Senior Member
    @NJgirl398 You are amazing! That is just the kind of information that I wanted. I'm going to share it with my D.

D said she would be willing to study biopsychology through the psychology department. Chemistry might be a second choice. She confirmed she doesn't want an intensely stressful environment.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,209 Senior Member
    Biopsychology sounds like a good compromise for what your daughter wants at TCNJ! :)
  • NJgirl398NJgirl398 Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    @MACmiracle no problem! Always glad to help. Good luck to your daughter!
    @MYOS1634 I remember you saying somewhere that TCNJ's psychology program is excellent, so that is reassuring.

I think her interests will develop over time so a strong, flexible academic program that won't kill her joy of learning would be good.
  • beenthereanddonebeenthereanddone Registered User Posts: 404 Member
    I haven't looked at TCNJ in about 4 years. At that time it was a suitcase school but they were trying to change that with a new building project. I assume that has been completed, has it helped to keep students around on the weekends? It has always had a good academic reputation but the social side was always a minus due to the large number of NJ students who returned home on the weekends. Has it changed? Thanks.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 11,499 Forum Champion
    There is a Interdisciplinary Concentration in Cognitive Science that may be of interest.
    https://liberallearning.tcnj.edu/what-you-learn-2/broad-areas-of-human-inquiry/interdisciplinary-concentrations/cognitive-science/

You could also design your own neuroscience major like the person in this article did:
    http://www.tcnjmagazine.com/?p=1449

They also have a Neuroscience club:
    http://www.tcnj.edu/~leynes/neuroclub.html

@beenthereanddone I have no idea about whether or not it's a suitcase school. Maybe to some degree since kids might be commuting home over the weekend for jobs if they don't live too far away.

I haven't paid much attention to this issue generally because when this question came up early in the search, D said she would appreciate quiet on the weekends. I also loved the emptier dorms and dining hall on weekends when I was in college.
    However if too many students go home, then you may not have friends for two days and the college may not have much incetie to offer weekend prgramming (free movies, sports to watch or to play, dances, concerts, arts&crafts, clubs... all sorts of free alternatives to beer whih many colleges offer).
  • ekdad212ekdad212 Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    @beenthereanddone: my daughter is a sophomore at TCNJ and in her opinion, it's not a suitcase school. This is discussed in other TCNJ threads.

Read more here: https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-new-jersey/2025803-tcnj-out-of-state-students.html
  • beenthereanddonebeenthereanddone Registered User Posts: 404 Member
    Good to know. I know that about three or four years ago it was a ghost town on the weekends and over short breaks. Some students would enjoy the peace and quiet but others who want a more social college experience might feel cheated. My goal in asking the question was to learn what the current situation was and to make sure that current students have all the information they need to make an educated opinion. I am glad your daughter is finding that it changed.
    The 'college town' they built probably helped a lot - it seemed very well thought out.
  • SpacemanEdSpacemanEd Registered User Posts: 322 Member
    I'm no expert, but I'm not sure a BS in Neuroscience even exists. Neuroscience, from what I've seen, is grad level stuff.
    Typical track is BS in Biology, Biochem, Molecular Biology, Biomed, even Psych.

Daughter-in-law is a UMBC grad. Just southwest of Baltimore city off 695. Nice area. Good rep in STEM majors. You're probably looking at $35K/year including housing.

In-state NJ, check out Stockton. Not sure if they offer grad programs in Neuroscience, but they've long produced some good grads in above majors as well as being well-known for physical/occupational therapists, nutritionists, etc.
    @SpacemanEd There are quite a few neuroscience BS programs but often at pricey LACs. So it exists but there's probably not much value in it without a Ph.D.

Molecular biology is also an option.

D liked Stockton. It offers a behavioral neuroscience minor.