Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Ask a Dean at TCNJ

191011121315»

Replies to: Ask a Dean at TCNJ

• ytakahashiytakahashi Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I've been accepted into TCNJ under the school of arts and communications. I was at on my PAWS account and noticed under Main Menu > Self Service > TCNJ UnderGrad Advising Report that in the "Plan" category it was listed as "Open Options- Art, Media, and Music". Am I on the right track if I want to study "Communication Studies" or should I ask for something to be changed?
  • wtuanwtuan Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Dear DeanRifkin,

Thank you so much for answering my questions back in Nov and Feb. My D got in all the nursing schools she applied to. She chose TCNJ over Georgetown, BC, NYU, Villanova, U Miami, Case Western, U Del, and Rutgers. We want to save money for her to go to graduate school and also stay closer to home. My only concern is my brother in CA never heard of TCNJ. Hopefully, TCNJ can make our name known in the future.
  • justsmile1justsmile1 Registered User Posts: 34 New Member
    Dear Dean Rifkin,
    I know that on tcnj.edu it has the minimum SAT score that students can have to be considered for the Honors Program. If an applicant is only submitting ACT results, are they still considered? If so, could you provide me with the minimum or average ACT score that would be invited to join the program? Additionally, my school does not rank students, but the site notes that students should be in the top 10% of their class. Will this hinder my chances of being invited? Thanks so much in advance!
  • AdmissStaffTCNJAdmissStaffTCNJ College Rep Posts: 226 Junior Member
    Hi Ytakahashi! I would give a call to the Admissions Office at 609-771-2131. It's challenging to counsel these personal questions over CC. If you did in fact apply into the Open Options program, then you are on the right page. The first semester will not put you off track for graduating in four years if you'd like to switch your major to Communication Studies. In a few weeks, all enrolled students will receive a communications from their Department Chairs letting them know the types of classes they will be taking their first semester. Many of these classes for most students, regardless of major, will be liberal learnings and the First Seminar class.
  • DeanRifkin-TCNJDeanRifkin-TCNJ College Rep Posts: 108 Junior Member
    Dear JustSmile1:

While the Honors Committee does not use a strict mathematical rubric, typically students with an ACT score of 32 or higher are considered as possible invitees. In addition, if a high school does not rank students, the committee is able to estimate a student's class rank, based on related data that is forwarded by the school.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Rifkin
    Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at
    The College of New Jersey
  • softballjackie11softballjackie11 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi Dean Rifkin,

I am starting to choose my 6 FSP's and read that there are restrictions based on majors. I am a Health and Exercise Science (HESA) major and I know that is part of the School of Nursing. However, in terms of FSP's, it states that nursing majors should not take course starting with 121, 141 and 151. Am I considered a nursing major in this instance or am I allowed to choose FSP's with these starting numbers since I am a HESA major?

Thanks for any clarification you can give.
  • sleeplessNJmomsleeplessNJmom Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Hi Dean Rifkin,

My daughter is an incoming freshman in Humanities & Soc.Sci.. Open Options, Honors Program. Could you post a link directing us to the course requirements and sequencing so she can start looking at her registration options before orientation.
    Thanks for your help.
  • wzwobodawzwoboda Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    When our son was accepted, he was offered admission to the Honors Program. He completed and returned the application. Should we have received confirmation that he is now a part of the Honors Program?
    Dear SoftballJackie11:

This is truly a question for Professor Anderson, the Assistant Provost for Liberal Learning. I asked him and he wrote me:

As you can see at this site:
    School and Program Specific Details | First Seminar Program the
    restrictions you mention are designed for students majoring in nursing.

You may select FSPs from those with 121 numbers. You probably should
    avoid those with 141 and 151 numbers, but you are not restricted from
    taking any. You will receive a packet any day now that will detail
    all that you need to know (and more...), but in the meanwhile, here is a
    crucial document from that packet:

School and Program Specific Details | First Seminar Program.

If you have more questions, please contact Professor Anderson directly at [email protected].

Sincerely,

BR

Benjamin Rifkin
    Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences
    Dear SleeplessNJMom:

I hope you are getting some sleep now that the college admissions process is behind you!

Your daughter should have received or will receive any day now a packet with information about course options for students entering into the Humanities & Social Sciences Open Options Program.

The one required course for these students is the Open Options Orientation Course, which meets on Wed. mornings: it is a zero-credit pass/fail course, but it is required.

Of course all freshmen must take a freshman seminar. The other 3 courses are determined in accordance with student interests: what are the majors they want to explore?

After your daughter has read through the packet, if she has any more questions, she should contact the Assistant Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Dr. Rosa Zagari-Marinzoli (students call her "Dr. Rosa") at [email protected]. Dr. Rosa is the director of the HSS Open Options program.

Sincerely,

BR

Benjamin Rifkin
    Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences
    Dear Wzwoboda:

There is no additional information that you would be getting at this time: if your son was offered admission to the Honors Program, he was entered into the Honors Program upon receipt of his deposit. More information about Honors will be coming to him later in the summer.

Sincerely,

BR

Benjamin Rifkin
    Dean of the School of Humanities & Social Sciences
    Dear CC'ers:

Lately the messages posted to this forum have been more individual in nature than general. It seems as though the value of our forum may have been exhausted. I'm going to sign off now.

If you have questions about The College of New Jersey, I encourage you to post to the forum maintained by my colleague from the Office of Admissions

OR

send an e-mail directly to the person at TCNJ who might be able to help you with your question, such as representatives of ...

The Office of Admissions
    The Office of Financial Aid
    The Dean's Office of the Various Schools at TCNJ (Arts & Communication, Business, Education, Engineering, Humanities & Social Sciences, Nursing and Health & Exercise Science, Science)
    The Office of Liberal Learning for questions about our liberal learning (general education)
    The Center for Global Engagement for questions about study abroad at TCNJ

Of course, I'm happy to receive and answer any questions about the School of Humanities and Social Sciences. My e-mail address is [email protected].

I send my sincere congratulations to the students entering college for the class of 2016. And I congratulate your parents on doing a great job in launching you.

To students in the class of 2017 and beyond: I wish you luck and hope you will enjoy the end of your junior year in high school, the summer before your senior year, and that you will have a great senior year. As you move forward on your college applications, please remember that you should be looking for your best fit. Remember that no matter how your college search ends up, you are responsible for achieving your own happiness.

I send my best wishes to all who have been reading this forum and encourage you to contact me directly by e-mail with any questions you might have that I can answer for you.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Rifkin
    Dean of the School of Humanities & Social Sciences
This discussion has been closed.