Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

LACs - need to narrow the list

2»

Replies to: LACs - need to narrow the list

• monydadmonydad Registered User Posts: 7,447 Senior Member
    Re; "diversity", someone posted this recently:

School Basics - Newsweek - Education

IMO whatever type group you are looking for, you will often find more fellow travelers at a large school than an LAC. When a school gets very small, the %'s can translate into not that many individuals.
  • momrathmomrath Registered User Posts: 5,665 Senior Member
    SDon, I agree that achieving diversity -- of all kinds, not just racial -- is an objective of all LACs; however, as monydad says, no matter what the percentages are, you just don't get the same critical mass in sheer numbers at a school of 1500-2000 as you would at a large university.

The rural LACs have the added dimension of less diverse surrounding environments than the urban schools. Williams and Grinnell, for example, have relatively diverse student bodies, but their surrounding areas are predominantly White. It's an issue that rural LACs struggle with: high achieving URMs and Asians prefer urban environments or large universities because of that critical mass.

On the positive side, URMs and Asians can benefit from higher acceptance rate at those same rural LACs.
  • ctParent2006ctParent2006 Registered User Posts: 376 Member
    A fine list. Some comments:

I also agree my alma mater F&M is bit heavy on the frats for the party scene.

Conn. College is also a bit preppy, some may think Haverford but I am unsure of that, but there are no frats.

You might want to consider Vassar, Bard, and Muhlenberg. They seem to be similar to some you have on the list.
  • chica2collegechica2college Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    SDonCC - I have shown interest in the schools. Have visited all, interviewed at most (other appointments set up) written thank yous and some email correspondence. Any other suggestions for showing interest?

ctParent2006 - thanks for the comments and suggestions. Visited Bard but not to my liking. I didn't fin the students diverse in the sense that they all seemed a bit too hipster for me - and too much smoking. :(

Ethnic diversity is ideal but I know it can be somewhat limited at LACs. I do like to see, however, schools that are making an effort to increase diversity. I also like to see some diversity in students eg not all hipsters, jocks, preppies, etc. but a mixture is ideal.
2»
This discussion has been closed.