Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Big time football schools that aren't fratty

Replies to: Big time football schools that aren't fratty

• bclintonkbclintonk Registered User Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    None of these schools are going to be affordable for the OP except for his own state schools, maybe UMinn, and maybe another football school that charges very little OOS costs.

The OOS price is right at Minnesota but I couldn't recommend it as a football school. The Gophers are 1-3 in non-conference play and may go winless in the Big Ten. Nice new stadium, though.
    I don't think Greek Life is big at any Big 10 school to be honest

That would have been my intuition, too, but then I saw this:

Illinois: 51% of undergraduates are members of a fraternity, 49% of undergraduates are members of a sorority (as reported in US News 2011 online edition).

Is this a misprint, or is it really true that half the undergrads in Champaign-Urbana are Greek?
  • kvilledeackvilledeac Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    GT is a better football program than BC. Multiple NCs as recently as 1990 for instance. Also a public school for those who weren't aware (apparently many aren't).

I think the OPs premise is off because there's not really a strong correlation between football school's and fratasticness.
  • jgraiderjgraider Registered User Posts: 2,845 Senior Member
    I don't think Notre Dame has greek life. Though of course, their football program has been struggling recently
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    I think that's a misprint, bclintonk. I've always heard UIUC Greek life to be more in the 10%-15% range. I do agree that from a Big 10 standpoint, it's more that Greek life is important to those in it but doesn't really affect those not in it -- which is very different from a school in which it dominates the social scene.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,545 Senior Member
    It seems to be as some colleges grow in size, the less greeks dominate the social scene, simply because there are also large numbers of non-Greeks (GDIs).

Anyway....back to the OP.

How much will your parents pay each year? If it's about $10k-20k per year, then your options are limited to Tex A&M, UT, Tex Tech, and UArk. And, those are good choices, so that's good!

I looked on OK's website and it doesn't look like they give a discount to Texas students, but maybe I missed it.
  • informativeinformative Registered User Posts: 1,900 Senior Member
    Stay away from the big state schools.
  • glowormgloworm Registered User Posts: 2,383 Senior Member
    If that UIUC frat % is a misprint it is on the low side. Frats are big there.
  • boysx3boysx3 Registered User Posts: 5,164 Senior Member
    Boise State?
    Stay away from the big state schools.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Informative...did you read the thread? The student is a transfer student (which typically means low aid) and doesn't have the money for really anything other than his own state schools or UArk.

And...since many/most big football schools are public, they're kind of hard to avoid if you want big football, money is an issue, and privates with big football like Notre Dame aren't going to be affordable.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 21,816 Senior Member
    Informative needs a new screen name.
  • hudsonvalley51hudsonvalley51 Registered User Posts: 2,449 Senior Member
    West Virginia University is a relatively low-cost flagship university with big-time football (or at least as "big-time" as it gets in the Big East). Cost of tuition, fees, room and board for out-of-state students is about $25,000. Merit scholarship in the $3,000 to $4,000 per year range are available to OOS students with a 3.0+ average and SAT scores of 1050+.

WVU does have a greek community but also has a pretty visible counter-cultural community. I never got the sense when I was in Morgantown that greek life dominated, but its been a decade or more since I was last down that way so maybe things have changed?
    The OP is a TRANSFER student...isn't likely going to be getting merit scholarships.

Yes, WVU is about $25k for an OOS student. LSU, Miss St, and likely Ole Miss are as well.

However, since the OP hasn't come back to this thread, I'm guessing that a "financial reality check" has happened and he realizes that he only has enough money to go instate...which is likely less than $20k per year.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    Informative is either a hs senior or college freshman who is woefully misinformed about lots of things. He's sort of the ultimate stereotype-holder esp about areas outside the Northeast.
  • dolphinfreakdolphinfreak Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    You basically described UM. Its all about the U
    Since money is an issue, he hasn't actually described UM.
This discussion has been closed.