Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Big time football schools that aren't fratty

13»

Replies to: Big time football schools that aren't fratty

• bballgrl8892bballgrl8892 Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    OP, since $ may be an issue I would say go with one of your in state schools or try to research "cheapest large universities" or something along those lines. If I remember correctly, Florida has at least 3 universities that are on the cheapest large public school list or best value (something along those lines).

Also, my brother is an OOS student at University of Tennessee. Great football (not as great as USC, but the games are amazing and the stadium is even more so), big school, and fun people. Thing is, he is in a frat, and I'm not sure how Greek predominant the school is, but I think that will be easy for you to find out :) Good luck!
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,541 Senior Member
    The OP is instate for Texas...not Florida. The big football publics in his state are going to be UT, A&M, and Tex Tech.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 21,806 Senior Member
    Um- this is not the year(s) to be recommending Tennessee football. Two words- Lane Kiffin. It's a "rebuilding" couple of years.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Super Moderator Posts: 24,106 Super Moderator
    Momofwildchild is right. The university that fits the OP's request best (big time football, small frat scene and sensible cost of attendance) is UT-Austin. Texas A&M would be a distant second.

LSU, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Tennessee are also fine options for the OP.

Florida is a little more expensive than the OP would like, but also worth looking at.

Finally, Notre Dame may be worth a look because it may have more generous aid options.

Florida is a little more expensive than the OP would like, but also worth looking at.

????

How do we know that it's a "little more expensive"? We don't know how much the family will pay, do we? The OOS COA of UF is about $36k. That may be twice as much as they're willing to pay.

I doubt my parents will pay $30K.

Is that really pretty much what I can expect at all big state schools?

I think one reason the OP hasn't returned to this thread is because he had no idea that OOS publics cost that much and he knows his budget is much lower.
    Unless the OP has high stats and a lowish income, and ND gives awesome aid for transfer students, then ND won't work either.
    @MomofWildChild Oh, I'm well aware of THE Lane Kiffin story haha, what a shame. Nonetheless, the games are still so much fun, but if the OP wants a VERYYYYY good football team then yes I 100% agree, definitely UT-Austin. Especially since you're in state for Texas!

OP, keep in mind that University of Texas, Austin is a really big school, not big like University of South Carolina or Virginia Tech, it is very large. A lot of people say they want the "big school" element, but there are schools that are big and are 20,000 undergrads and there are school thats are big and are almost 40,000 undergrads.
  • jgraiderjgraider Registered User Posts: 2,845 Senior Member
    but if the OP wants a VERYYYYY good football team then yes I 100% agree, definitely UT-Austin

Someone missed the UCLA game... :)
    @jgraider Haha I actually didn't watch the game!! UCLA is of course amazing as well, I only say UT because he is a state resident of Texas. Good work on those Longhorns though :)
  • bclintonkbclintonk Registered User Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    Oops, Longhorns just lost another one and likely will drop out of the Top 25. So much for that "VERYYYYY good football team."
  • arcadefire1027arcadefire1027 Registered User Posts: 1,827 Senior Member
    UCLA's certainly not having a bad season :)
    Haha chill, I suggest Texas because that's the state he resides in.
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Registered User Posts: 6,673 Senior Member
    And UT Austin's percentage of students that are Greek is pretty low. With only 10% of the guys in fraternities, at UT, the Greeks do not dominate campus.

The OP has a number of nice possibilities in Texas.
  • k&sk&s Registered User Posts: 2,139 Senior Member
    Boston College has a great football team and is in an urban environment. Not fratty. Georgia Tech and Northwestern aren't as good at football, but they are not fratty and are in large cities.

Uhh, while BC has had some very nice seasons, they have never been "great" (i.e. - win or come close to winning a national championsip); and over the past 2 decades or so, BC's success on the gridiron is not that much diff. from GATech's or NU's.
13»
This discussion has been closed.