Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Big time football schools that aren't fratty

ray1123ray1123 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I am looking at transferring next fall. I love college football and want to go to a school with a big time football program, but also one that is not consumed with Greek life, as that is just not my thing. Any suggestions?
Post edited by ray1123 on

Replies to: Big time football schools that aren't fratty

• lilixx198lilixx198 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    UCLA is not that bad to be honest, compared to cross town rival USC.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,545 Senior Member
    Most football schools are going to have a "greek element" but that doesn't mean that if you're not Greek, you won't have fun, like the school, have other activities, and enjoy your football team.

My kids go to a big-time football school which does have Greeks. My kids aren't Greek and they still love it and have fun.

The only big football school that I can think of that doesn't have Greeks is Notre Dame.

What is your home state?
    What are your stats?
    What is your budget?
  • ray1123ray1123 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I get that Greeks are just part of the deal and that's fine. I'm just kind of tired of the whole clique thing right now, sorry. I guess what I'm really looking for is an open-minded campus, preferably not in a huge city.

I am from Texas and currently go to Stephen F. Austin State University. I have a 3.7 gpa through my first year. As far as budget, the cheaper the better, but as I will have knocked out 2 years fairly cheaply, I can probably wing a little cost. have looked at UT-Austin and Arkansas, as I can get in-state tuition at both. I really would like to go out of state, but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    As far as budget, the cheaper the better, but as I will have knocked out 2 years fairly cheaply, I can probably wing a little cost. have looked at UT-Austin and Arkansas, as I can get in-state tuition at both. I really would like to go out of state, but I'm not sure I can afford it.

What do you mean by..."I can wing a little cost?" Most OOS schools with Big Football are going to cost at least $30k per year or more. How would you pay for that?

How much will your parents pay each year?

It sounds like UT, Tex A&M, UTEP, Tex Tech, or UArk might work for you cost-wise unless you have a good financial source.

Can you get instate at UArk as a transfer student??
  • ray1123ray1123 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Yes, I can get in-state at uark as a transfer. I doubt my parents will pay $30K. Is that really pretty much what I can expect at all big state schools?
  • AlexandreAlexandre Super Moderator Posts: 24,108 Super Moderator
    Notre Dame has no greeks.

Michigan-Ann Arbor has as mall greek presence (less than 20% of undergrads).
  • lesdiablesbleuslesdiablesbleus Registered User Posts: 746 Member
    I don't think Greek Life is big at any Big 10 school to be honest and the majority of them have prominent football programs including Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan State.
    None of these schools are going to be affordable for the OP except for his own state schools, maybe UMinn, and maybe another football school that charges very little OOS costs.

I doubt my parents will pay $30K. Is that really pretty much what I can expect at all big state schools?

Yes...or MORE.

These are last year's Cost of Attendance for an OOS student

$25,787, U MINNESOTA
    $31,872, VIRGINIA TECH
    $32,500, U ALABAMA
    $33,750, AUBURN
    $34,812, U IOWA
    $35,029, U WISCONSIN
    $36,210, OHIO STATE
    $35,311, U N CAROLINA
    $40,086, U GEORGIA
    $36,977, RUTGERS
    $34,696, TEXAS A&M
    $34,922, U DELAWARE
    $36,094, U FLORIDA
    $32,752, U PITTSBURGH
    $37,416, U MARYLAND
    $36,985, U WASHINGTON
    $37,548, CLEMSON
    $36,848, PURDUE
    $39,146, U CONNECTICUT
    $38,120, GEORGIA TECH
    $40,130, U ILLINOIS
    $39,510, PENN STATE
    $37,644, INDIANA U
    $38,566, MICHIGAN ST
    $48,041, UC IRVINE
    $49,193, UCLA
    $50,306, UC BERKELEY
    $38,974, WILLIAM & MARY
    $43,742, U TEXAS
    $42,570, U VIRGINIA
    $47,188, U MICHIGAN

Again...these are LAST YEAR's costs. So this year is higher, and next year will be even higher. :(

So, instate at UT, A&M, Tex Tech, UTEP, UArk or another instate public with big football are really his only affordable options.
  • pierre0913pierre0913 Registered User Posts: 7,652 Senior Member
    I think Clemson has a big enough greek life program that you'll be annoyed by it if you don't like that sort of stuff.
  • StoogeStooge Registered User Posts: 450 Member
    Wisconsin - big sports and less than 10% of the undergrads are Greek. They are important to those in them and really not to anyone else.
    Folks....

the OP has indicated that he didn't realize that OOS schools cost this much. He's also indicated that his parents won't pay for even the cheaper OOS schools with big football. So, these suggestions aren't going to work for him,

I doubt my parents will pay $30K. Is that really pretty much what I can expect at all big state schools?

His instate big football schools and UArk are his best choices. If you know of another BIG football school that is likely priced around the cost of instate UArk or Texas schools, then those might work. The only other schools that might work is LSU or MissSt. None of the Big 10 or similar schools will work.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 21,816 Senior Member
    Does OK offer in-state rates for Texans?
    UTEP is far from a big football program- and going there from SFA would be a bad move.

Seems like UT, A&M, Tech or Ark, OK are the options
  • informativeinformative Registered User Posts: 1,900 Senior Member
    Boston College has a great football team and is in an urban environment. Not fratty. Georgia Tech and Northwestern aren't as good at football, but they are not fratty and are in large cities.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 21,816 Senior Member
    ^^ and not affordable for the OP.
  • bclintonkbclintonk Registered User Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    Arkansas is a little fratty-er than the Texas schools:

Arkansas: 17% in fraternities, 23% in sororities
    Texas: 10% in fraternities, 12% in sororities
    Texas A&M: 5% in fraternities, 12% in sororities
    Texas Tech: 13% in fraternities, 18% in sororities

But FWIW, the Greek scene at Arkansas is nothing compared to some SEC schools.

Vanderbilt: 35% in fraternities, 50% in sororities
    Ole Miss: 36% in fraternities, 34% in sororities
This discussion has been closed.