Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Undergraduate Business Schools

2»

Replies to: Undergraduate Business Schools

• slipper1234slipper1234 Registered User Posts: 9,084 Senior Member
    Dude, all are good. The top ones + top lacs + Ivies will all get you top jobs. You don't need Wharton to work at a VC or Goldman: Brown, Columbia, Duke, Williams, Dartmouth, Cornell, etc will all be just fine.
  • fantosmefantosme Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    ^Most of those schools don't offer Finance. He'd have to take Econ.
  • nyusternmannyusternman Registered User Posts: 225 Junior Member
    you know he may actually be interested in finance as field of study, and not just some wall street goon. if thats the case, if he gets into Stern he should take a hard look at it.
  • parikhsparikhs Registered User Posts: 1,607 Senior Member
    I'm interested in Finance...ibanking. By top "lacs" you mean? My stats are

GPA: 3.6 unweighed (mostly honors / few AP's) at a competitive prep school with a rigorous curriculum
    SAT's: 1200...retaking in October
    I've started up a few companies as a venture and have done some real estate work.

I'm trying to figure out what schools would be just as good as NYU if I don't get accepted. I don't want to go too far from NYC either. Which schools are less competitive than NYU, but have almost as good connections for job opportunities and are well respected. Thanks

My SATs are holding me back :-\...I can't even get into decent schools w/ my scores. Hopefully I score what I'm shooting for next saturday :-X
  • A2Wolves6A2Wolves6 Registered User Posts: 4,232 Senior Member
    I think the majority of the top finance schools (including NYU) are reaches considering your GPA mainly. You are right on NYU's average GPA, so it's not helping or hurting your chances. And considering their admittance rate is only 35%, you only have about a 35% chance with that GPA.

But your Test scores (their #1-A criteria) are in the bottom 25% of all applicants. So you need to get to about the 1350-1400 range to be considered a "strong applicant", and have this become a "MATCH" school for you. Right now, it's a REACH, with a less than 25% chance of accpetance.

I think that the other top finance schools that I listed, (Penn, Berkeley, Michigan, and Texas) are all REACHES as well. Just shoot high, and try to get that SAT up.
  • parikhsparikhs Registered User Posts: 1,607 Senior Member
    thx for the advice...yah i'm shooting for 1400..bump for any other advice
2»
This discussion has been closed.