right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Undergraduate Business Schools

parikhsparikhs 1386 replies221 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
I've decided that I definitely want to major in business and was wondering which Undergraduate Colleges have the best business programs? Right now I'm considering NYU Stern, Northeastern, and UMich. Also, when you apply to lets say NYU, do you apply to the college within in (Stern)? How does that work.
edited October 2005
21 replies
Post edited by parikhs on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Undergraduate Business Schools

• nyusternmannyusternman 225 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    what about wharton and MIT
    · Reply · Share
  • parikhsparikhs 1386 replies221 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I don't think I can get into either considering my gpa is around 3.8 and low SAT scores that I hope to boost up to around 1400 in October. Do you go to NYU Stern? How does Baruch rank? How are their connections in providing jobs post graduation. I live in NYC - which are the best undergrad business schools in the area.
    · Reply · Share
  • kcirschkcirsch 2183 replies82 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Stern, Baruch, and Fordham are the best Business schools in NYC.
    · Reply · Share
  • A2Wolves6A2Wolves6 4039 replies193 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What type of business do you want? A good "Business" school could be terrible in Marketing.
    · Reply · Share
    Specifically Finance...I'm not sure whether Stern is a reach or target for me. I'm leaning more towards reach since my SAT's aren't too great. However, I've had a lot of entrepreneurial experience as I've tried starting up my own companies. I'm not sure how much that will help me when applying. If I get my SAT's up to 1400 with my gpa of 3.8 unweighed...would I be a likely prospect?
    · Reply · Share
  • fantosmefantosme 254 replies53 threadsRegistered User Member
    I've heard NYU Stern rarely takes anyone with below a 700 on their Math score, and Finance is the hardest program to get into at NYU.

Also, I believe Michigan is only taking 85 students into their Ross business school (that's what a Michigan admissions officer told me 3 days ago). If you get into Michigan but not Ross, you could try again sophomore/junior year.
    · Reply · Share
  • slipper1234slipper1234 9044 replies40 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Try to get into UNC-CH, its very connected, only a $150 flight away and the campus life couldnt be better.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegehelpcollegehelp 6322 replies275 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    UVA
    U Illinois
    U Wisconsin
    Purdue
    UNC Chapel Hill
    Penn State
    Ohio State
    SUNY Buffalo
    · Reply · Share
    If the OP can't get into Stern in-state, they won't be getting into Kenan-Flagler OOS.

The top 5 Finance schools are UPenn, NYU, UMich, Berkeley, and UTexas.
    · Reply · Share
  • nystudent23nystudent23 271 replies216 threadsRegistered User Member
    whats teh name of the UVA business school?
    · Reply · Share
    nystudent23 - McIntire
    · Reply · Share
    You only get into UNC's business school after your sophomore year, and he is competitive for UNC.
    · Reply · Share
    what would u say are some good Finance Undergraduate schools? I have NYU WHARTON and ROSS but after taht are tehre any?
    · Reply · Share
    bump???????
    · Reply · Share
    What are your stats?
    · Reply · Share
    Dude, all are good. The top ones + top lacs + Ivies will all get you top jobs. You don't need Wharton to work at a VC or Goldman: Brown, Columbia, Duke, Williams, Dartmouth, Cornell, etc will all be just fine.
    · Reply · Share
    ^Most of those schools don't offer Finance. He'd have to take Econ.
    · Reply · Share
  • nyusternmannyusternman 225 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    you know he may actually be interested in finance as field of study, and not just some wall street goon. if thats the case, if he gets into Stern he should take a hard look at it.
    · Reply · Share
    I'm interested in Finance...ibanking. By top "lacs" you mean? My stats are

GPA: 3.6 unweighed (mostly honors / few AP's) at a competitive prep school with a rigorous curriculum
    SAT's: 1200...retaking in October
    I've started up a few companies as a venture and have done some real estate work.

I'm trying to figure out what schools would be just as good as NYU if I don't get accepted. I don't want to go too far from NYC either. Which schools are less competitive than NYU, but have almost as good connections for job opportunities and are well respected. Thanks

My SATs are holding me back :-\...I can't even get into decent schools w/ my scores. Hopefully I score what I'm shooting for next saturday :-X
    · Reply · Share
    I think the majority of the top finance schools (including NYU) are reaches considering your GPA mainly. You are right on NYU's average GPA, so it's not helping or hurting your chances. And considering their admittance rate is only 35%, you only have about a 35% chance with that GPA.

But your Test scores (their #1-A criteria) are in the bottom 25% of all applicants. So you need to get to about the 1350-1400 range to be considered a "strong applicant", and have this become a "MATCH" school for you. Right now, it's a REACH, with a less than 25% chance of accpetance.

I think that the other top finance schools that I listed, (Penn, Berkeley, Michigan, and Texas) are all REACHES as well. Just shoot high, and try to get that SAT up.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity