Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

List so far (common app, deadlines? Fin Aid?)

2»

Replies to: List so far (common app, deadlines? Fin Aid?)

• carolyncarolyn Registered User Posts: 7,435 Senior Member
    Unfortunately I haven’t taken the SAT's so I'm reluctant to post my stats..
    >>

What year of high school are you in? If you're a senior, planning to apply this year, why haven't you already taken the SAT I and SAT IIs? Almost all of the schools on your list require both the SAT I and several SAT IIs. It's a little late to be pinning all your hope on reach schools because you probably will only have one shot at the SAT I and SAT IIs before applications are due. December is the deadline for having ALL test scores for the UCs, which means, unless you're signed up to take the SAT I this month, you're cutting things very, very close. And, that's just for the UC's.

If you are a senior, go to the common application website www.commonapp.org and sign on. All of the information you need about deadlines, test requirements, and who on your list takes or doesn't take the common application is right there.

If you haven't yet taken the SATs because you're only a junior, relax, you have plenty of time to draw up a list after you have at least taken the PSAT and gotten a sense of how realistic your list is from that. With some prep, you might even qualify for as a National Hispanic Scholar, and thus perhaps have some more options to consider for fianancial aid/merit money.

In either case, I would suggest that you make a point of going in and sitting down with your guidance counselor NOW to discuss different possibilties and options. Yes, I know you said it is a big school and you don't know your guidance counselor well, but that is no excuse for not seeking out whatever help and resources they can provide.
This discussion has been closed.